Friday, January 30, 2004

The Power of Words

I've loved to write since I was a little kid.  Ever since I realized this was something I was good at, I was all about it.  One thing that never ceases to amaze me is how when you send words out they have an amazing ability to touch and reach people even though the person doing the speaking isn't consciously trying to change anyone.

Last night I got a call from my best friend of 24 years (that always freaks me out to think how long we've known each other).  He said that something in my journal was helping him in his efforts to quit smoking.  When I say that I approach this diet on a more short term fashion (as in this moment, or today, or this week) it helps me from being completely overwhelmed by how much I have to do.  I just tell myself, I only have to get out the door and walk today.  I only have to deny myself that extra helping this moment.  In doing these things, I've found the strength to get moving or stop eating where I never used to. 

So Jeff says that he's approaching cigarettes the same way.  Instead of chain smoking at the computer, he aspires for one an hour.  Instead of never smoking again, he goes without smoking in set time frames, like driving or for an hour after he eats.  He's gotten down to half a pack, and I have full faith that he'll eventually wean himself completely off of them.  So give a shout out to my buddy Jeff, who reads this, on how amazing he's doing.  He can do it, I know he can.

Because all you have to master is the moment.

Steps - 1459 (no I'm not missing any numbers, it was bloody cold today so no walk for me.  Add a mid afternoon nap trying to stave off a cold, and you have my day.  Blech)

Exercise - 30 mins on the stationary bike & Pilates

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Jeff!!! In June it's going to be two years since I quit smoking. I asked God for a miracle and He granted it since I quit smoking on a Monday (Jeff will know how hard that is). Anyway, I quit after having smoked for 31 years and I still like the smell, but do not have the desire to put one in my mouth ever again. KEEP GOING, JEFF!

Anonymous said...

You go Jeff! It'll be 2 yrs since I quit on Feb.28th. I started doing things a year before I actually quit - I quit smoking while driving to and from work, cut back while on the computer, sat in non-smoking areas, etc. AND added a "God please help me do this" to my daily prayer. Along the way I found that it helped if I said the word "cigarette" out loud when I wanted one...it kinda acknowledged the fact I wanted one and kept me from obsessing about it over and over in my head.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. The moment only.

Anonymous said...

Thank you duck for your inspiring and intimate writings. You have inspired me to "get back on the horse" so to speak about losing weight. I need to lose 50 lbs. as I have heart disease and have had bypass surgery. I have gained 30 lbs. in the last 4 years since surgery. So many bad things have happened since surgery, that I let it get me down and make me bitter. However, your statement on mastering the moment inspired!!