Friday, January 23, 2004

Just Another Walk in the Park...

I need to apologize to all of you guys.  I've been really down in the mouth here the last couple of weeks.  I've let myself get even more weighed down with depression and I'm even finding myself a chore to deal with.  

Today Steven went with me and we decided to walk the longer track at the park.  The legend says it's 1 1/2 miles, but we both kinda figured it's a bit more.  I had to stop about 3/4 way through, and I've been pretty well useless since I got home.   But I got my 11,400 steps in, so it was worth it.

As we were walking home I began to think about my problem with destination vs. journey.  Then I realized.  This is a journey of 166lbs.  Just like the bigger walk around the park, which was a little more challenging for me, I just put one foot in front of the other and before I know it I've made it the entire distance.  It's not going to come any faster than what I decide to put into it. 

So I need to learn to enjoy this process, just like I found ways to enjoy the park.  I enjoyed chatting with Steven, we hadn't walked together since last week and that was always "our time" together.  I enjoyed the different route, which was a little more rustic than the route we normally take.  I enjoyed the weather, it was overcast and crisp, like it could rain at any minute.  I enjoyed the fact we went when the park wasn't that crowded, and I felt like I could totally enjoy my own pace.  And when it was over I enjoyed the fact I knew I did what was good and positive for my body.

Before I know it, those four pounds I was grousing over will add up to 14lbs, 24lbs, and eventually all 166lbs - and I'll be done. 

Just one foot in front of the other.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww....don't apologize. It's all part of the process, change is never easy. You have the right idea, "one foot in front of the other," ~~you'll get there. : )

Anonymous said...

You are so right. KEEP THINKING 'JOURNEY.' Go take a look in the mirror. Are you all that horrible as you are, overweight and all? NO. If you stayed this way, would you be all that horrible? NO. And, you're not going to stay as you are, but you are going improve from there. You're going to look better and feel better.

Don't let depression cloud your vision. Keep going!