Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Movie Corner

So the Oscar noms are out and there were a couple of surprises.  Nicole didn't get a nod for Cold Mountain, but Johnny Depp did for POTC.  While I'm really excited for Johnny, I think that Sean Penn (Mystic River) is going to be the one to beat - and if anyone does beat him it will probably be Bill Murray (Lost in Translation). 

I've only seen Pirates so far.  As usual, due to lack of funds, we're way behind on seeing the big movies of the year.  Hopefully I'll be able to get a few in before the awards are handed out.

But I will say that having read the script for POTC and seeing it on the big screen (not once but four, count em, four times) I can honestly tell you that the nod for Johnny's performance is well deserved.  As much as I love Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio, the screenwriters of POTC as well as Shrek/The Mask of Zorro, etc - the character of Captain Jack that we all saw on the screen was mostly due to the brilliance of Mr. Depp.  He brought so much to the role.  So much so that anyone else who would have had this role would have made it a completely different character. 

So kudos to Johnny.  I bet he never dreamed he'd get an Oscar Nom swaggering through a movie based on a Disneyland ride, doing his best immitation of Keith Richards.

No comments: