Friday, January 2, 2004

Be Prepared

Not too long I wrote an entry on that nasty four letter word "plan".  Plans can be quite scary as they teeter on the edge of realistic goal and pipe dream - but for the last two days I've made plans to eat well but still within my daily goals.  And you know what?  It's working.

Yesterday we had a mini party at our new house.  By mini party I mean it was just Steven, the boys and me.  We bought Little Caesars pizza and even a chocolate cake.  Normally these foods would send me into a dietary state of amnesia (meaning I conveniently forget I'm on a diet), but I made a plan to eat and followed it, allowing myself the "luxury" of eating out while still maintaining my program. 

Today I did the same thing.  I wasn't able to walk my mile at the park, so since my 13 year old and I were alone tonight while my 11 year old was camping at grandma's and my husband was at work, we walked over to the mall and ate at The Spaghetti Warehouse.  Again I researched what I would be able to eat and went into the restaurant with a plan.  And the walk?  It was probably between a mile to a mile and a half. 

I don't feel deprived at all.  I actually feel more in control than ever.  Instead of being all bummed out that I can't have what I want to eat, I find a way to eat what I want within the limits that I've set.  This isn't about deprivation - this is about choices.  I enjoyed a nice Chicken Parmesan dinner with spaghetti with tomato sauce, a salad no dressing, a bit of their bread with some of their butter (not a lot though) and water.  No dessert, no appetizer, no alcohol.  And it was totally cool.

Plus I had a pretty handsome date.  :-D

Exercise: 30 mins stationary bike, 1-1 1/2 mile walk.  (I've ordered a pedometer from Ebay, so when I get it I'll find out exactly how far it is between here and the mall)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sound like you are on the right road! I did the same thing the other day when we went out for pizza ... I allowed myself 2 small slices and I ate it ever so slowly so I could enjoy every morsel! I also have a pedometer that I've been using. I'm working at getting to that 10,000 steps a day. Kim mentions it in her journal ~ I had read the same article. In fact I mentioned the boy in one of my entries! right now, I'm at 5,200 steps!
Monica

Anonymous said...

I noticed you went a half mile longer! Way to go!! You'll be doing the Susan B. Komen Race for the Cure next year!

Anonymous said...

You know, sometimes it's good to let go and break that diet! LOL