Monday, January 5, 2004

Mother Nature Doesn't Ebay

I got my pedometer in today.  That's the good news.  The bad news is I won't be making it to the park before Wednesday.  Our highs are in the 30s only.  Poor Winston's curly tail would freeze and fall right off.  It was the kind of cold today where any exposed skin will burn if the wind hits it. 

I realized today that I'm a carb-o-holic.  On the Richard Simmons foodmover he has food split up into groups: starches, fruits, protiens, fats, veggies, dairy and bonuses.  Without fail I blow through all my allotted starches by dinner, leaving the rest of the windows up.  So I can eat, but what do I want to eat?  You guessed it.

But I've decided it's a good thing to be using the Foodmover because it's teaching me balanced eating.  I've expressed my discontent regarding low carb diets before, but I truly believe that any eating style that requires you to severely cut out a food group that is actually one you NEED to have (carbs fuel your body and are an excellent source of fiber) isn't a healthy one to adopt.  To stay the course we need to retrain ourselves how we perceive food and how we choose what we put into our body.

Steven bought me another balance ball.  The first one bit the bullet, but thankfully it wasn't because of me.  :)  So I did Pilates tonight.  I was surprised how well I did after so many days of Pilates freedom.  I even managed to do *some* of the bridge. 

Now if you don't know what the bridge is, I'll explain it to you.  Akin to some sort of medievil torture device, this exercise requires you to lay flat on your back, your feet on the balance ball.  You then lift the lower half of your body off the floor "one vertabrae at a time", balancing your weight with your hamstrings, your feet braced on the ball.  I've yet to do this exercise to completion.  Tonight I did four out of ten reps, which is a lot more than the big whopping zero I was doing the first week. 

We're going to take these victories where we can find them.  :)

Exercise - 30 mins exercise bike, Pilates routine

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish there was a diet like Atkins that let you eat all the carbs you wanted and still lose weight! Pilates? WOW! Thta's like Calculus to an elementary school student.. isn't it? I'm impressed! Good luck! Lisa

Anonymous said...

wow..the bridge sounds painful!!lol..you are a better woman than me..I wouldnt even try it!