Thursday, January 1, 2004

Impatience Can Kill

I'm just about the most impatient person on the planet, especially when it comes to weight loss.  In my day I've done several programs to lose the weight, and the speedier results promised, the more I was liable to buy. 

In 2000 I began taking metabolism boosters.  Where I used to feel so huge and so lazy, I suddenly had energy.  I liked that feeling.  So I kept buying the pills, eventually going to the "mail order only" kind that had a higher dose and promised big results.  This was my exposure to Ephedra.  When that mail order came in, those pills were indeed stronger.  Strong enough to give me heart palpitations and shortness of breath, almost to where I blacked out once at the theater.

That was enough to scare me straight.  I sent back the mostly full bottle and got a refund, and I've never touched the stuff again.  Nor will I.  I know what kind of strain I'm putting my heart under, I refuse to add that and cause the whole thing to blow up. 

Now I read that Ephedra is due to be banned because of some deaths associated with its usage.  That's the good news.  Now today I read that there is a huge demand to buy Ephedra before it is banned.  That's the bad news.

People are so desperate to lose weight fast that they're willing to risk life itself.  Or your health even, remember the Fen-Phen?  Now we're learning that those popular low carb diets are even causing long term health effects.

I know how it feels to want to lose weight.  I've been there.  But please, try to do it the natural way - no harmful fad diets that promise quick weight loss.  If nothing else, keep this in mind.  Most people who go on fad diets gain the weight they lost back plus more, and more than once.  I heard recently that yo-yo dieting can significantly increase your chances of dying from a heart attack. 

So take your time, let your body adjust to the changes you're going to want to sustain your whole life, not just during the dieting phase. 

Exercise - stationary bike 30 mins, walked one mile

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What have you heard about long term effects for people on low carb diets? Just curious... I was doing the Atkins and gotta say the wt dropped off better than any other diet I've ever tried. My hubby lost 75 lbs on it, still has 40 to go. For me, a carb addict, limiting them has been the key to dropping pounds. I plan on making it a life-long way of eating, not just a diet.

Anonymous said...

My 23 year old neice now has kidney damage from being on the Atkins diet, they said there was entirely too much protein in her diet and now she has to go completely vegetarian. I did some research on the web, and found a lot of sources that repeat the danger of heart disease and kidney failure.

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who took that phen phen stuff and ended up having heart problems that landed her in the hospital. I won't do the quick fixes myself ~ and I too am a very impatient person. Wishing you the best in 2004.
Monica

Anonymous said...

My husband is an Iridologist & Natural Health practioner and ordered me some products (all natural things such as, Pre-natal vitamins, chromium, some things with seaweed). Anyway, I feel better, I know I am sleeping better. After 5 years of not sleeping much, this is a little slice of heaven! If you need any good quality vitamins, minerals etc., please let us know.
You go girl! You are doing great!! I am thrilled to read about your progress!

Anonymous said...

OK I must admit, I dont know what people are talkin about low-carb or phen phen. The diets I tried were fairly simple. Eat only this or that, drink this shake, blah blah blah.. I have fat burners all natural. Are those safe?

Anonymous said...

Depends on what is in your "natural" metabolism boosters. Ephedra I believe is a natural componant. Make sure you have doctor approval and supervision if you decide to use supplements to help you lose weight - or really any new diet (like Atkins).

Anonymous said...

Omg You're scaring me my mom uses those pills all the time. I have to go tell her. Even though she won't listen. I must show her your entry. Thanks for the info!