Tuesday, December 16, 2003

A Successful Cheat Day

Well today was Steven's birthday and we treated him to a dinner at the Outback steakhouse.  I think I did ok.  I had the grilled fish filet with shrimp, crawfish & mushrooms, with a side of veggies.  I did eat from the bread basket, but it was a dark honey wheat.  I didn't order a salad (for fear of the dressing) and only had a few bites of their potato soup.  The only place I really cheated was the alcohol, drinking three cosmos. 

Steven did get a sundae for his birthday, but I took a page from the nutritionist on Dr. Phil's Weight Loss Challenge and had a few bites.  It was totally enough to satisfy.  AND I brought about half of the fish home in a doggie bag.

I was particularly motivated after viewing yesterday's Dr. Phil.  He was teaching his Weight Loss Challenge contestants how to have a healthy holiday that wouldn't sidetrack their commitment to healthier eating.  Here I've been looking forward to my "cheat days" where I can throw caution to the wind, and it really hit me hard what an unnecessary thing it was.

I can still enjoy food, I can still have a good holiday without my enjoyment relying on what is or isn't on my menu.  So I decided to revamp that menu I already had planned and include some healthy alternatives.

The bad news is I stepped on the scale this morning and six of those six and a half pounds were back.  : - |  But I'm not going to be a slave to the scale.  Our bodies fluxuate with hormonal changes and water weight.  What matters most is that I *feel* the difference in my body.  I fit into clothes I couldn't have fit into a couple of months ago. 

So tomorrow it's off to Target to buy some free weights to start building muscle so that I can burn the fat faster.  And tomorrow I'm going to walk two, yes you heard me right, TWO miles.

Oh, and BTW I did get a digital camera but I ended up resorting to Ebay.  When it comes in, the digital madness begins :)

Dec. calories spent 15,885 = 4.5lbs lost

 

No comments: