Thursday, December 25, 2003

Goodies that taste like Baddies

The final concensus of the day is that I did go over 1800 calories, but I didn't overeat.  All in all I shaved 780 calories even in the midst of holiday eating.  I'm pretty proud about that.  So I thought I'd share a couple of our wicked indulgences that were tailor made to fit in a healthy eating lifestyle. 

Seven Layer Dip - this traditional Mexican dip is a party favorite, something maybe you can take with you when you have your New Year's Eve celebrations next week.  If you don't host your parties, bring along your own foods.  You'll be a hit!

You can use the following: lean ground meat, non fat refried beans, salsa, non fat sour cream, green onions, black olives, tomatoes and nonfat or lowfat grated cheese.  Layer these one by one in that order, and serve with Baked Tostitoes.  The calories (provided I calculated them right) should be about 550 calories for both chips and dip and only 6 grams of fat, provided you keep to one sixth of your dip and 20 or so chips.  It's very filling, so this is definitely enough.

Lime Jello Salad - One of my holiday favorites, I've been eating it as long as I can remember.  It has a real zing to it thanks to the pineapple and the lime jello, and we use 7Up to give it extra fizz.  Boil two cups of water for two 4oz packages of Sugar Free Lime Jello.  Stir until dissolved.  Cut up fat free cream cheese into this, and mix with a beater until pretty well blended.  It will not be smooth.  Drain your pineapple tidbits into a measuring cup, adding Diet 7Up to make a cup.  Add to mixture and chill for about an hour.  Then include the pineapple.  Again, if I calculated this right the calories end up to be less than 240 calories (I used the regular jello, not the sugar free) with 0 grams of fat.  Should make six servings. 

Exercise - Walked 1 mile, rode stationary bike 21 mins, 32 min Pilates workout

Dec. calories spent: 28,415 = projected weight loss 8.12lbs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read your journal for the first time yesterday and it gave me the courage to do an online journal of my own metaMOREphosis. I am 61 and started getting very panicky about running out of time. I really like your definitions of spoiling vs pampering. I will be passing that along to my friends. Good luck with your progress. I will continue on with you. metamorephosis.

Anonymous said...

A low-fat seven layer dip? Thank you!!! And, congratulations on being in the Editors' top five this week.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being an Editors pick. YOU GO GIRL!!!!
I need to start exercising again! You have inspired me to get started! Thanks.
I like the receipes and struggle with keeping my weight down!

Visit my journal sometimes and let me know what you think.
it is about my sister, Peggy.
The journal is about my daily talks with her.
it has been great therapy for me!
Mary Louise

http://edit.journals.aol.com/mlrhjeh/WatchingMySisterDisappear