Wednesday, December 17, 2003

Pilates. Body Sculpting or Medievil Torture. You Decide.

I didn't go the whole two miles today.  I foolishly put it off so that I could "walk" to Target to get my weights, and then ran out of time before Steven had to go to work.

I went in to the store with the purpose of buying two five pound free weights and a balance ball.  Having had lower back pain for at least a decade or more, I can no longer lay flat out on my back to do things like situps or crunches.  But I saw that people can do abdominal exercises using a balance ball, and I thought that would better fit my needs.  (Although I am a little nervous about the durability of the balance ball versus my current weight.  I'm afraid of ending up the subject of a newspaper story: "Woman Severely Injured in Balance Ball Blowout")

I ended up buying a set of 3lb weights that came with the balance ball and a Pilates instructional tape.  Since I read that Pilates was good for everyone regardless of age or fitness level, I decided to give it a go.  After all it looks really simple.

Looks are deceiving.  I actually worked up a sweat during the 32 minute routine.  I couldn't do a few exercises in the floor routine (because of my back) but everything else I could do.  Nothing hurt, although some muscles groaned a bit. 

But the best news of all is how I felt when I was through.  I was energized, and I felt more limber.  So I think I'll add that my exercise regime, scheduling it every other day.

Exercise: Walked 1 mile, 32 min Pilates workout

Dec. Calories spent: 17,340 = projected weight loss: 4.95lbs.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh that ball! I did an entry on the purple ball ... that evil thing! I was waiting for it to explode with my weight on it ~ or to simply knock my on my butt! It didn't and I felt the work-out. Great entry here, great work out! Thanks for all the comments in my journal ... encouragement is so great!
Monica

Anonymous said...

I had to go look up your purple ball comment LOL I so feel your pain. I also got to see your before and after photos. YOU ARE AWESOME, just in case you haven't heard that lately. GREAT JOB.