Sunday, December 14, 2003

All We Have is This Moment

When Dan passed away this year, it brought home a grim reality.  No one is promised a tomorrow.  It depressed me for a really long time, and even sidetracked some of my major life goals (like having another child).  I wondered, what is the point, if we're all going to die anyway? 

And the Grim Reaper looms out there, always prepared to snatch us - sometimes he makes his presence well known, and sometimes he just steals us away without any notice. 

So ever since then I realized that the only thing I have control over, is this very moment that I'm in.  As time has gone on, I realize that doesn't have to be a bad thing to keep mindful of.  For someone with lofty goals like myself, it means I can control my Journey for this moment.  I don't have to think about the 170 lbs I have to lose, I can just concentrate on this moment, and not overeating today.  I don't have to think about if I can't run that mile yet, I just have to get out and walk it today.  I don't have to think about giving up my favorite foods for the rest of my life, I just have to be okay that I don't eat it today.

Kind of like any addict (and I fully confess that I'm a food addict), you have to take control over the only real thing you have control over.  This moment. 

And if you do take control over each moment as it comes, pretty soon the moments will add up into a whole stretch of time that will help you meet your goals.  Pretty soon you can look at before and after photos where you have 20, 30, 50, 100lbs gone.  It didn't happen over night, but it DID happen one moment at a time.

So seize the moment and make it your own.  I know I'm going to.  And before long, we'll all have met our goals.

Dec. calories spent: 14,020; projected weight loss 4lbs.

No comments: