Wednesday, December 31, 2003

New Year - Old Goals

New Years is a time for resolutions - which happens to be a huge oxymoron for what they really are.  A resolution should be something you're resolute about, but most of us do it as a token gesture.  We tick off a list as long as our arm about things we'd LIKE to do, but I'm sure by January 15th, our enthusiasm has waned considerably in the face of day to day reality.

My longstanding joke is saying that my only New Years Resolution is not to make any resolutions.  Sure I have things I'd like to address, but life altering changes take up a lot of energy.  Most of us use that energy to remember to write 2004 on our checks instead of 2003. 

My resolution this year is not to lose weight.  I've delivered myself from thinking that far ahead.  All I have to get through is today.  If I can get through today without overeating and managing to do my exercises - that's a successful day.  I'm not going to measure myself by losing all my weight.  I've found this to be counterproductive.  Instead of celebrating the big victories, I'm too consumed with being a failure at my ultimate goal. 

I keep saying this, and I hope that by saying it enough it becomes something I feel instead of just think, but all I need to concentrate on are the daily changes I've made.  The weight will take care of itself.  In its own time, not my own. 

But that doesn't stop me from dreaming, dare I say, planning.  For kicks and giggles I made up an excel sheet about when I can expect to meet my ultimate goal just by losing on average 2lbs a week.  It put me at 145lbs somewhere in August of 2005.  My first thought is how far away that seems, like I'll never get there.  My second thought is, "Oh cool.  I can spend my anniversary in NYC."  and my third thought is, "Hopefully I'll lose it faster than that." 

Patience is a virtue I have yet to acquire.  I'd put it on my list of resolutions, but I've resolutely decided not to make one. 

Whatever your resolutions today, let your New Year's Celebration be a safe and happy one. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, have I been here before?? If not, I'm sorry....what a wonderful journal you have going here. ~~Thanks for visiting my journal and congrats on making the top 5 pick. You deserve it : ) I've been battling the bulge ever since my thyroid was removed 10 years ago so I can totally sympathize with your struggles. You have a great attitude, you'll make it. ~~I'll be back : )

Anonymous said...

Oh, and wanted to wish you a very Happy New Years!!

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Ginger!!
I've been reading your journal entries. I am currently on the "Metabolic Research" eating program. (Maybe I didn't tell you that since Danny and I met I've gained about 50 pounds - my heart and body were cautioning me, in that interesting way they do, that I better take care of my health).
Where was I going with this? (I love being 52 - can't remember things!) Ahh yes, my weight counselor told me that when you stop losing weight, you begin to lose inches.

Anonymous said...

For whatever reason, weight loss and inch loss don't occur at the same time.So, chin up my dear friend, no weight loss on the scales = inch loss on the body! I thought that was so encouraging when she explained it to me. By golly she was right too! Last week I had almost NO weight loss but when I measured yesterday, voila! Inch loss!!
You just hang in there, don't let the guilt demons get you! You really are doing very, very well!!
Love you,
Jeannie

Anonymous said...

Hello Ginger! Thank you for your nice e-mail, I am so glad I "met" you, you inspire me! I hope you and your family have a happy, healthy New Year! Karie