Monday, February 16, 2004

Two Questions

I read an article online that said there are two questions you need to know the answer to in order for lifelong weight loss.  Those are, "Why do you want to lose weight?" and "Why is now the time?" 

I want to lose weight because I want to live a long healthy life.  When my ex died, I was hit with a very strong paranoia about dying.  It would send me into literal panic attacks - which quicken your pulse, make you breathless and pretty much make you think you're going to die.  You can see what a brutal circle I was in.

The time is now because there is no better time.  No one is promised a tomorrow, and there's never going to be a better time to lose weight.  I've been putting off dieting nearly all my life - even back when I was only 220 lbs and didn't have as much to lose.  Imagine my chargrin when I look back on those photos and think how thin I was.  I was overweight, but I wasn't obese... and I certainly wasn't morbidly obese. 

I also remember thinking back then if I ever hit 300 I'd probably kill myself.  But it sneaks up on you.  Curiously, it sneaks up on you when you're losing weight as well.  Before you know it you've lost ten, twenty or fifty pounds.  So I think I'd much rather be making the lifestyle changes that move me in the right direction, than wake up and find myself not only back to where I was, but even higher.  I can hit 400 as easily as I hit 350. 

I went to the mall today so the family could blow their household chore money.  I weighed myself and I was 301 lbs and 8 ozs.  Steven was more bummed about it than I was, I knew going from Blast Off Week to the 1800 calorie card could cause a jump in weight.  Most of what I lost last week was water. 

And I'm not giving up.  My goal for the week is 297.  The weather is going to be nice all week so that means I should be hitting 10,000 steps every day.  I'm already at 10,578 for today.  When I'm done with this entry I'm going to ride my bike and I've got Pilates on tap for today.  

Steven said that this weigh in "didn't count", but I figure it did - and part of my ongoing commitment to honesty with this project was to come here and post it.  I'm confident by Saturday I'll have lost it again.

So if you ask me what my motivation is this week - there you have it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good questions and I'll try to remember to answer them tomorrow, in my journal when I get home from work.
Smilin Mon

Anonymous said...

Good for you! You continue to amaze me w/your courage. I can honestly say I don't think I would be able to be so honest. Need to work on that. You're still doing great! I can't wait to see you down another 10lbs. :) Know that I'm thinking of you & working hard to lose as well!!

Julie

Anonymous said...

I am also a writer, three novels out and writing the fourth, and I working on a weight-loss goal of my own. I find writing to be my biggest diet help. When I am in my other world, food does not enter so much into the equation.

Good luck to you.

Anonymous said...

i randomly came across your journal and i must say- !bravo! you are an inspiration. one day at a time is the right mindset and the future is a great goal. you have inspired me to take a closer look @ myself and finally cut the laziness and get going with the weight loss. good luck in your weight loss plan, although it seems to me you dont need luck. you have the spirit of someone
"who can".

Anonymous said...

Since I came across your journal last week I have read it every day. I cant wait to see what is going on with your journey because your life so mirrors my own.
I joined the richard simmons sight and have begun using the food mover and today I went on my very first walk.(I walked my daughter to school)
And it felt good!
So I just wanted to say thanks again for the insiration and know that there are many people cheering you on.

Venus

Anonymous said...

I just read your joural and u seem very motivated to lose weight.. I'm sure if u never give up, that u will reach your goals. Good Luck!

-Audrey

Anonymous said...

Id like to hope that very soon, i to will get my butt up and get this weight off.
ive gained 70 pounds since i started chatting on aol 3 yrs ago....
good luck to you and God Bless.....Sheliteful958