Sunday, February 15, 2004

Motivation

Another question I get a lot is how do I get motivated?  A lot of people are stuck knowing they need to do something to lose weight but are at a loss how to get the engine out of park.  Even my sister will say she knows she has to get serious about her weight eventually, but she just cannot seem to find the motivation to actually do it.

To be honest with you, I still go through this myself.  Ever since I broke the 50 lb barrier I've fought the desire to relax or take a breather.  I still have to press on, to do whatever I need to do so the next time I step on that scale it's still under 300.  I do get a little discouraged knowing I'm still so very far away from goal, so I try my best not to think about that. 

I motivate myself on a daily basis, saying that for today I will eat right (which includes the smaller 1800 calorie card), for today I will accomplish my exercise goals - which is easy today since I'm taking my day of rest.  All you have to get through is one moment at a time. 

Imagine yourself on a stretch of road and at the other end of it sits a case full of money - like one million dollars.  This road has hills and valleys, it's not always smooth, the weather conditions are harsh and it's a long way.  But it's never going to get any closer if you don't take that first step, and each subsequent step thereafter.  And most of us cannot see that bag full of money (i.e. what we really want out of life - to be the appropriate weight, to be healthy), so our desire to walk this road wanes under the oppression of the conditions. 

You just have to remind yourself that it's there.  This is my internal dialogue every single day.  And over time the choices have gotten a lot easier.  Food is no longer an issue - my main battle now is with exercise.  So I have to tell myself that I only have to ride the bike one minute longer, I only have to walk one step further, I only have to start the Pilates routine and before I know it, I've done what I need to do.

It really is a matter of choice.  If you wait to be motivated, you may eat yourself to a higher weight that will make it even further away from your goal. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have some very good, wise words here for us to heed.
Smilin Mon

Anonymous said...

Wow! More motivation...just what I need :)

--Jacqueline

Anonymous said...

So insightful. You're last paragraph is so important. You can't wait to be motivated...you have to choose to motivate yourself! AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

I so needed this today. I'm just starting my 6th week, and I had a very rough day of it today. Oddly enough, my journal entry today was about motivation as well. It is so helpful to go out to someone elses journal and see someone who is going through the same things that I am. :)
Cheers,
Juls

Anonymous said...

Wow, I really like the way you imagine the road and the money. I even copy'd it from my printer for myself. I hope you make it, 50 pounds is a lot, good going! When you make your goal weight you should think of being a motavationel speaker. Keep up the good work.