Monday, February 23, 2004

Maintain vs. Starting Over

I don't like exercise.  Nope.  Not one little bit. 

It doesn't seem fair that what didn't take hardly any effort at all to do will take a lot of effort to undo.  I say this after my 30 minute stint on my stationary bike, sweaty, hot and exhausted.  Granted the benefit of exercise is that you will feel tons better after it's over, but doing it is a total drag.

And the more overweight you are the worse it is.  My knees creak and moan each time I get on that bike, which gives me even MORE incentive to avoid it.  I don't like pain and I steer clear of activities that risk it. 

But even though I'm not at a place yet I can enjoy the exercise, I can enjoy the benefits.  I do see a difference in the photos, and I know that it was doing what I'm doing now that created those changes.  If I just keep going I'll see twice as much difference in another couple of months.  I just can't give up.

Giving up means starting over, which means working twice as hard to get back to where I am now.  Renee Zellweger was on Inside the Actor's Studio not too long ago saying that Vincent D'onofrio told her it's much easier to maintain where you are than to start over and try to get there again.  Even though he was talking about getting into character, it applies toward a lot of things in life.  And weight management is one of those things.

It's going to be easier for me to get on that bike today than it will be to lose the weight I'll gain if I slack off.  And I say that from experience.  In October of 2002 I got down to about 290 and over the course of the year I ended up going back up to beyond what I started at.  So here I am, over a year later, and even worse than what I was.

So I may not like exercise, but I hate starting over even more.  So I'll maintain - at least for today.  And today is all I can control.

Exercise - 30 mins stationary bike, 6919 steps, Pilates later -

Calories - 1891

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ginger, I know what you mean..I had to kick my own butt in gear today to get started on the Taebo I'd promised to do today. But, I did it, and that's one more day. :) I enjoy reading your journal and it helps keep me on track, too, thanks!
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

I have just spent over an hour on your journal, your husbands' journal , and your geocities site. You are such an honest, remarkable woman. You also write VERY well. Can't wait to read your first novel!:) I have lots of issues, hence I relate to your story in many ways.... but underneath I think EVERYONE has lots of issues, don't they? Difference is not many of us have the courage to share them. Well, thanks again. Your words have made me laugh, cry, and nod my head in empathy.

Anonymous said...

Ginger!!!!! Heeeey, lady! :o)

Girl, you are so right...it's MUCH easier to keep up than to catch up. And you've DEFINITELY got the right idea -- just keep hanging in there with the exercise (whether you like to or not) and in time, you'll reap more benefits from it than you could imagine. I'm in the process of preparing to run and am looking forward to it. The benefits from running are HUGE and not limited to weight loss.

Anonymous said...

Gin, I'm empathizing w/you. I was sooo sore from a hike in the mountains Sunday! I did NOT want to get on my treadmill yesterday but I did & I'm so glad now. ;) If I hadn't, I'd have felt very guilty & that just sends me in a downward spiral. Ya know??!!

Hugs,
Julie

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your journal and have read quite a bit of it. You said you might try counseling. I think it's a very good idea.I was molested at 7. His excuse was that I was so beautiful he couldn't help himself. At 18 I was raped by my first longterm boyfriend. After trying to commit suicide I was made to go into counseling. It's helped so much. I'm not completly healed, and will never be, but I am alive and I can control that.

Anonymous said...

I have to drag myself to the gym every day. I've been doing it now for 27 mouths and am enjoying the benefits. Thanks to my son and his encourgement. He's a 19 year old college student studying phsical education and exercise science. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

YOU GO, GIRL! You can DO IT! Also take a look at "Dr. Shapiro's Picture Perfect Weight Loss." Your library ought to have a copy. A picture is worth a thousand words....er..calories....

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Ginger! Just think where you would be if you hadn't changed what you were doing 6 months ago. I just got the Pilates mat routine, but haven't used it yet, but there is a quote in it that is sooo true..."If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got." Keep a positive attitude, you have already accomplished a great deal, you can do it!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your weight loss. I'm having a difficult time getting myself started on a plan. Hopefully, I'll be inspired by some of these journal postings. Keep up the good work.
Nancy >^.^< RochesterCats

Anonymous said...

duckbride323, You have made my day with your article, Thanks! GOod Luck!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much fot the link to FitDay.com....the site is wonderful....I have it all set up....Judi

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much fot the link to FitDay.com....the site is wonderful....I have it all set up....Judi

Anonymous said...

Join CURVES for Women. I hate to sweat, and generally hate moving, but I love Curves. It's easy, fast, and air conditioned.

Good Luck.
Margot in Elk Grove CA