Tuesday, February 10, 2004

It's Official. I Hate Winter

Too bad there isn't a "cabin fever" option in the pull down menu for mood, because that's exactly what I have.  I've gone back to working from home when I moved, and the ugly side effect is that if I don't get my walk, I'm couped up all day. 

I wanted to go for a walk today but within an hour the temp dropped 10 degrees, the wind kicked up and I was left to look at the gloomy overcast skies.  Normally I don't mind overcast skies but today it drove me absolutely loopy.  Or loopier as the case may be.

The diet... is not going well.  I'm doing it, but it's so much harder than I remember.  I ended up making pasta for the kids and ate zucchini for myself, just because I was done with my carbs for the day.  So I'm not going over my required calories, but I'm mighty ticked off about it. 

And I'm so blessed tired.  I think my metabolism is shutting down because of the extreme change in caloric intake.  I'm going to go get some vitamins tomorrow to see if that helps.  Riding the bike helped, it was just mustering the stamina to get on.  All I wanted to do was take a hot bath, climb under the covers and sleep.

But as I told my sister tonight, that's really the hardest part.  Riding the bike is not as hard as motivating myself to do it.  And the more I procrastinate the harder it gets.  But once I get on the bike or step out my door for a walk, it's no big deal to complete the task, and I always feel so much better when it's done.

To quote Yoda.  There is no try.  There is do or do not. 

So I done dood it.

Exercise - 5511 steps, 30 mins on the bike, Pilates

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well 323, My writing is horrible by the way ,But way to go I started change of eating last week carb thing,lost 10 pds. WATER WEIGHT..........try cauilflower as mashed potatoes,I also read in -THE FIRST =-FEB issue shows some great tips.an at least youare trying myself I cheated myself last night an had a oatmeal pie from lil debbie.....

Anonymous said...

Hey Gin, put on some of your best, most uplifting CD's and tomorrow will be another day! We will always have "down" days but "up" days are a-coming! I am keeping you in my prayers to stay strong & "fight the good fight, stay the course"!
I struggled last week with no change on the scales, got up this morning, lost 2 pounds. Weight is weird. Hang in there, it will be OK!

Anonymous said...

Hi There Duckebride323. I was reading you're journal and I wanted to say that you must have a wonderful personality because it comes out so much in your writing. I hope you reach your goal! - TheOrangeHat@aol.com

Anonymous said...

WOW! all i have to say is you really inspire me! I have read a few back posts of yours and I am so inspired to lose weight myself. I have always been stuck in a rut to lose that weight , but now you've given me the extra boost i needed to do what i need to do. I hope we can keep in touch somehow to motivate each other maybe... if not its ok ... Thanks for the inspiratioN!

*~* ExNepTune *~*

Anonymous said...

Dear Ginger,
When you have one of your low days...just keep thinking..'I've got 2 beautiful little boys who need me to be here on this earth! '
I used to smoke almost 2 packs a day ..and finally quit 3 years ago. I kept thinking of my grandbabies, and how much I wanted to be there for them as the years go and be able to do things with them without being hooked up to an oxygen tank!! That was very motivating for me!

Best wishes!
Nice2cya@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Girlfriend, I hear you. I am stuck in this house with snow and cold all around me. Keep up the good work, you sound like you're doing good. I also am on the low carb diet. So far I lost 10 lbs! it's been 2 weeks. So stick with it.

Anonymous said...

Hey all those readers and writers who like me struggle every day with weight loss.

I lost appx 40 lbs. last year and I am on my way to putting them back on so I am i

in a slump right now. I would like some online pals who like me know what it is '

like to wake up every day and know you just cant walk to the fridge and eat

anything your hand touches. It is a difficult and emotionally challenging way of

life.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work! Don't let the winter blahs stop you from your vision of yourself come summer!

Anonymous said...

Yes, winter can be awful, but God Bless, you're alive and you're doing it. Keep up the great work. Your journal is inspirational, know if you never do anything else with your writing, this is exceptional and just may be what God intended in your life. That's more than many people will ever know. Take a bath, relax and think about all the people reading your Journey and be glad you are making a difference.

Anonymous said...

i just wanted to tell you that i recently started an exercize program with my next door neighbor. we've been doing it for two weeks now and i'm loving it. i find myself waiting for the day to get through, and the kids i do daycare for to go home. mostly though, i just wanted to say from one mom to another... stick with it and don't give up. that is all i'm trying to do now. congrats on taking the first step. good luck.
sarah

Anonymous said...

Know exactly what you mean!!! My main prob. is my motivation. I get so sluggish in the afternoon. Esp. that time of month. Here's what I do. When I wake up in the morning, I put my ex. clothing (ya know the bra & all that)on under my reg. clothes. As soon as lunch is finished, dishes cleaned & little ones down for a nap, I immediantly hop on the treadmill. It's getting easier & easier Ginger, and it will for you too!! You've got a pal here who's wishing you the best.

Julie

Anonymous said...

You're right in recognizing that the motivation is the hardest. For me, once the day gets going - it's hard to stop and take the time. So I get up at 5:00 and walk. It sounds nuts, but now it's a habit and I enjoy it. I like being out before dawn and I love watching the sun come up. Then I can go about my day and not worry about missing my exercise. Your workout is probably your best defense against cabin fever. You deserve it!!