Saturday, February 7, 2004

The Good News and the Bad News...

Well the bad news is my less than ideal week gave me a less than ideal weigh in.  I'm up 11oz from last week.  That's way too close to a lb for my liking. 

The good news is, even though I'm bummed out, don't count this girl out.  The difference with this weight loss Journey than any of the others I've been on, is when I run into something that isn't what I want or expect, I just adapt and move on.  Rather than eat a pint of ice cream, I empower myself with knowledge to make next week better.

Last week I ate bad foods and didn't exercise because I was sick.  I also have water retention because of my stooopid hormones.  (That really bites being a woman and trying to lose weight.  At least one week a month you're going to see weight fluxations that are beyond your control.).  The weight gain was no surprise.  The fact it was a LOT less than I expected, is the good news.  I also had a Non Scale Victory in that a size 26 button down shirt fit me today no problem, water bloat and all.  Which is way cool.

The better news is I'm stepping up my exercise.  I jumped up the mode on my exercise bike to 2 rather than one, and now I'm pushing toward my target heart rate.  It's no longer about how long I can ride - I've proven I can handle that - now it's about how hard I work. 

So today I discovered what my target heart rate is to burn fat with a Target Heart Rate Calculator, and for me it's between 112 and 149.  As I rode today,  I maintained 20 minutes in my target heart range.  I used a start up and cool down method and I really worked up a sweat.   So I'm going to do this for six days this week (one day off to rest) and we'll see how it affects the scale next week.

I'm also going to do what Richard calls "Blast Off Week".  It's about 1000 calories per day and it's suggested for the beginning of any diet as well as any plateau.  Gonna be hard.... I'll let you know how it goes.

Today's workout song - What is Love by Haddaway.  You know the one, where the SNL guys do their little head bob dance.  It's impossible to sit still to this song.

Steps: 7268, 30 mins on the bike and Pilates.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please let me know how it goes w/1000 cal per day. That's tough but I now YOU CAN do this. You inspire me to look @ my own weight and learn to love myself. Thank you.....Rose

Anonymous said...

I think you and I are going to make this weight loss work! NO DOUBTS!! I was dealing with water retention this week, my period, lack of motivation one day ~ only one day and even then I wasn't totally bad! My weekly average was up .5 pound. Keep up your good work! As always reading your journal motivates me to keep moving!
Smilin Mon

Anonymous said...

Hang tough. You are doing everything right - including not letting a bad week throw you off track. That 1000 cal. thing WILL be tough...but it's not forever. I think you're going to be really pleased with the progress you make as you boost your exercise.