Sunday, February 15, 2004

A Love Letter

I'd like to do something a little different tonight.  It's Valentine's Day after all, and I'm feeling especially mushy.

Sometimes when you're in a really long relationship you forget the magical moments you experienced when you were first discovering each other.  Those moments when your heart races or your breath catches, and you actually feel the power of love just by looking at someone.  Soon, the reality of life takes over, it begins to crowd out those romantic feelings and soon you have something comfortable, something sacred, but something that it's very easy to take for granted.

And I take my husband for granted.  I give him a lot of grief - maybe not unfairly so but I also forget to treat him like the special person in my life that he is.  I forget to tell him how much better every single day is just because he's in it.  I pulled away when my ex husband died, so afraid to be close to anyone - and Steven stood by me, never pushing me, never making me feel guilty for switching alliances in the middle of the game.

Instead he loved me as he always has loved me - unconditionally and unwaveringly.  He treats me like a queen.  I never had to lose one pound for him to love me or to consider me beautiful or attractive.  He saw all that I'm uncovering now, from that very first meeting.  When the world treated me like I was invisible, he called me by name.  He held my hand and was never, ever ashamed to present me to the world as the one he loves.

And he's the one that I love every day, in every way.  I love being able to tell him anything without fear of being judged or reprimanded.  I love how he makes me laugh, and taught me how to make life fun.  I love him for teaching me it was okay to love myself.  For showing me that people really can do things because they want to and not because there are strings attached.

He gave me his heart, he gave me an extended family who accepted me and my kids without reservation.  He gave me life.  He also taught me that love doesn't leave, no matter how bad things can get.  And that was the biggie. 

I love you Steven.  From this moment on, and forever.  Thank you for being my biggest fan - and for a thousand other reasons 2,500 characters just couldn't cover.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ginger,
That was very sweet! Happy Valentine's day ~ belated.
Smilin Mon

Anonymous said...

How touching and very sweet!! You even made tears come to MY eyes! Sigh. I could have said the same EXACT words about my wonderful husband...doesn't it make all the difference, having unconditional love in your life?! You look fantastic and very beautiful....your boys are REAL cuties, too. And your sweetie is VERY VERY handsome!! Thank you for sharing with us. :) With love....Gretchen

Anonymous said...

Looking good girlfriend! Keep up the awesome work and know you have one more supporter in me.

kellzee21@aol.com

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful token of love you've written for your sweetie.

Great looking family! How do those teens grow so quickly?? My 15 & 14 yr olds are both 2 in. taller than me now.

You continue to be an inspiration for me every day. Thank you!

Julie

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful family you have and I must say a very handsome husband, keep up the good work, let your love for your family and friends guide you. connie45244

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful description of love! I'm glad you had a great Valentine's Day, and it looks like you have a wonderful family!!! Keep up the good work; you are very inspirational to me!!!

--Jacqueline