Thursday, February 12, 2004

My Weight Management Tools

One of the consistant questions I get since being featured on AOL Diet & Fitness: AOL Takes It Off - February 2004 is what diet I'm on to lose weight.

I don't consider it a diet.  It's not really all that restrictive.  I can eat pretty much whatever I want, I just have to be smart about portion control and make good food choices.  If I want a piece of pie, I can have a piece of pie - as long as I make it fit into my overall caloric intake for the day.

How much you weigh determines the amount of calories you need each day.  Being over 300 I've been able to take in 2000 calories each day broken down into the main food groups. 

I use the Richard Simmons Foodmover, which allows me to close off windows as I eat during the day.  When all the windows are closed, I'm done.  The great thing about this Foodmover is that I paid $15 for it, and I can use it forever. 

I've also adopted a more active lifestyle, baby steps at a time.  I bought a pedometer to increase my steps according to the Walk Off Weight Plan, so even parking a little further away helps.

I also bought a Reebok Pilates Core Strength Kit.  I do this every other day - or at least three times a week.

I have the luxury of having a stationary bike.  This provides great cardio - I started at one song (about 4-5mins) and have worked up to 30 minute stretches.  Currently I'm doing five minutes warm up, 20 mins at my fat burning heart rate and then five minutes cool down.  I do this 5-6 times a week.

And of course this journal.  Which is probably one of THE most important things I've done differently.  I'd recommend a journal - private or public - for anyone attempting to lose weight.  I also highly recommend keeping track of your food.  Always know what you're eating.  Information is the most powerful weapon in your weight management arsenal.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've used the food mover before. It's an awesome little thing. I also tried Richard Simmons' Deal a Meal. What stumped with with both of these was keeping it with me. And not cheating.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow what a great plan you have there....and its working too!!...Deanna

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say I think you are an amazing woman! You have come so far on your journey already, and you persevere through bad days and temporary setbacks. I am on a weight loss journey as well. I'm only at week 5, but I'm starting my motivational tools early. So I started my own journal, and I'm reading other fitness journals like yours. You just keep on doing, girl! And you will eventually find yourself right where you want to be!

Anonymous said...

How to determine how many calories you can eat?
I weigh 230 lbs, when I eat 2000 a day, I gain.
I'm 59 yrs old and have been overweight for over 30 years now. My biggest problem, I don't sleep at night. when I'm tired I eat more. Sleeping pills, anti-depressants don't work. I am just beside myself and don't know what to do. Do you have any suggestions for me?
Thantk you, Gladly45

Anonymous said...

for gladly 45,
You're metabolism lowers as you age. Exercise can help rev it up. I would recommend that if 2000 makes you gain, you eat 1800 for a week and see what happens. If you don't lose a pound that week, try 1600.Remember, the more you exercise, the more your metabolism is boosted and the more you can eat. Strength training is good too.Take some one pound cans or other household objects and lift them.The more muscle you have, the healthier you will be, and the higher your metabolism.