Thursday, April 1, 2004

Mean People

If you read Steven's journal you already know what happened to us recently on a Pug bulletin board.  It just continues to astound me how rude and obnoxious people can be.  Every single message board, every single chat room, every topic you can Google under the sun seems to be plagued with at least one abusive bully who attacks first and asks questions later.

It ticks me off.  I hate to see people mistreat other people.  To me there's never a cause to be mean.  And in this case, when she made that "spayed" comment, I flipped out.  One of my very tender touchy spots is that Steven and I have had problems with infertility, and just because she didn't like what Steven had to say she flippantly tossed that out without regard to anyone else's feelings.  This doesn't even cover the private emails she sent to him calling him an idiot, accusing him of breeding without doing any research when the very reason we were there asking questions was to do research.  I just saw red.

Sjburgess and I met in much the same circumstances, on a Journey board many years back.  She made a post wishing Steve Perry health during his bad hip days, and a Anti-Perry-ite attacked her like a rabid pit bull.  I let him know what I thought (I'm opinionated that way) and she and I have been friends ever since.  I guess we have a lot to thank Meanie for.  (no joke, that was his handle).

Anyway it all just stupifies me.  I don't get what these people get out of being mean to total strangers.  I hate that the anonymity of the internet allows the baser instincts to take control, and people trash other people like they're nothing more than letters on a screen.  How hard is it to remember that there are people behind all these characters? 

I've worried about mean people coming here and making this an unpleasant place, but I have the control on what comments stay or go.  You can bet if someone is needlessly mean I'll delete first and ask questions later.  And if they don't like it, tough.  This is my house.  These are my rules.  And I like people to play nice.  :)

Calories: 2204 / 27%
Sodium: 2525mg
Water: 76oz
Exercise: none

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ginger, your question to that MB just pegged you guys as gleaming, shiny newbies with the tags still on. <g> The pug is a breed that requires a lot of knowledge and serious pedigree research before you think about breeding, because of their dwarfed size, kinked tails, brachysephalic muzzles and protruding eyes...functional conformation is a serious, serious concern. Please feel free to email me privately and I will be glad to help get you started in the right direction. :)

Anonymous said...

I have decided or learned years ago that the meanies and bullies in life are in reality the most unsecure people around. They have to belittle others in order to feel better about themselves and when you think about that, isn't that totally pathetic? Shame they don't have the confidence in themselves as we do in ourselves. Oh, and I think when they comment it often shows stupidity ...

Keeping our heads high,
Smilin Mon

Anonymous said...

LOL Ginger! I love your statement!!! ..." This is my house. These are my rules. And I like people to play nice. :)"
Look at your water intake! Awesome!!! Girl, you have a handle on the weight loss situation! <Looking like a proud mama!> The weight loss is wonderful, but I truly believe it's a benefit from growing self-worth! You go my friend!

Anonymous said...

people that like themselves don't have time to be mean