Friday, April 2, 2004

Big Fat Lies, Pt. 1

<taking place on soapbox>

Being about seven months into this new lifestyle I've adopted to lose weight, I've grown increasingly intolerant of all the weight loss propoganda I hear on TV or through the internet.  Most of these lies result in taking money from the wallet of the overweight, and they feed into what a person who is overweight might want to hear. 

For instance, "Now you can lose weight and still eat all you want and never exercise!"  All you have to do is order their much too strong to be sold over the counter probably not tested or approved by the FDA magic pill.  Sure, I'll take two bottles and throw in the Brooklyn Bridge, too. 

I love the ongoing debate about the different fad diets that are on the market.  To carb or not to carb, that is the question.  There's Sugar Busters, Nutri System, Jenny Craig, Slim Fast, The Zone, Atkins, the South Beach Diet and many more new diets that pop up every day.  All you gotta do is buy this book, join that program, eat that prepackaged diet.  I lost weight on Nutri System too.  Most of it was in my wallet.

And show of hands how many of us have endless video tapes, tons of fad gadgets that help us to work out all stacked in a heep in the junk closet?  $1200 for a treadmill that tells me how great I'm doing?  Sure.  Mail it to my beach front property in Arizona.

I'm just so sick of it all.  This country is getting fatter by the day mainly because of what we buy as consumers.  We shell out money to be lied to.  We spend money on the lowfat stuff that's chock full of hidden enemies like sodium.  I'm convinced that unless you're very knowledgeable or very diligent, you can literally diet yourself to death.  The American Heart Association set forth a dietary guideline I'd be surprised if maybe 20-30% of Americans actually follow.  No wonder we have a skyrocketing obesity rate.

Do you know how many calories you're supposed to eat every day?  Do you know how many carbs you're supposed to have?  How much sodium?  How much fat?  How much water you're supposed to or do drink?  Most people don't know these things.  If they did fast food joints would go belly up.

Instead we all just go belly out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to lose another 30 but 15 will be enough! I feel its a life change not a diet..I "think" before I eat I say is that swanson pot pie worth 350 calories...I never used to even glance at the calories/ fat content of stuff..I grew up tiny/small....thin whatever you want to call it..I am early 30s and first time in my life I am big..well was..I took control and feel great! HerbaLife changed my life... I eat what I want... Way to Go Ginger..keep doing what works for you....

Anonymous said...

I agree...BUT I feel some work for others and some don't... I have been using HerbaLife products since January and have lost 56 pounds.... not effortless, but not so hard..I have had 4 babies in a 10 year span and let the weight creep up on me...I couldn't believe how much I weighed when I got on the scale..no one believes I weighed that much I hide it very well

Anonymous said...

Go Ginger!!! Go Ginger!!!

ROCK those numbers, girrrrrrrl!!!!!!! 60 lbs...and in such a short time. Dang!!!!! You are truly workin' it, girl. I am sooooo proud of you. You have inspired me yet again today. Thank you! :o)

Ginger ROCKS, y'all! :o)