Friday, April 2, 2004

Big Fat Lies, Pt 2

Don't even get me started on gastric surgery as a means to lose weight.  What they don't bother to tell you is you still have to change the way you eat or you can gain it all back.  It isn't a permanant cure.  They don't tell you that the odds of complication or even death are so unacceptibly high that insurers are now backing off from funding these procedures.  Nope.  Generally it's, "You're 100lbs overweight, you need surgery."  No thanks, doc.  Leave the carving for your Thanksgiving turkey.

On Oprah's show the other day Bob Greene (her fitness instructor) said it's not about wanting to lose weight.  Most people want to lose weight.  A lot of people started this year on a diet that have now abandoned their efforts.  You have to ask yourself if you're willing to do what it takes to accomplish that goal.  Am I willing to eat less and move more?  Am I willing to start putting my health first?  Am I willing to make the proper food choices that follow a healthy dieting guideline?

Or do I want to spend more money to be lied to, only to get even fatter?  Someone somewhere is driving a Porche, and I'm eating myself to death.  The statistics are stacked against us.  There's a 3 in 4 chance of failing any attempt to lose weight.  NO THANKS. 

I want to be healthy for life.  I want to learn what it takes to be healthy not just in a few months to lose 100lbs, but to be able to take the best care of my health possible.  And if that means I have to be patient losing weight "the old fashioned way", then so be it. 

Because I'm willing to eat less, move more and keep my hard earned money for all the new clothes I'm gonna need.

<stepping back off of soapbox>

Calories: 2113 / 24%
Sodium: 2707mg
Water: 81oz
Exercise: walked 1.5 miles

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya on the surgery..my brother in law in Tyler Texas specializes in that....I would NEVER ever do that..I have to many people here in Florida that have had relatives or friends DIE from that.... I say get off your but and go for a walk.....Its not rocket science...and YES its gonna take some time...theres no "miracle" out there!

Anonymous said...

LOL, well .. uh, here I am in Tyler, TX and I know who the previous poster is speaking of. :) I would only say in defense of the surgery is that my niece who had the proceedure done had heart problems & had to get as much weight off as possible as quickly as possible. It worked out well for her but a natural approach is best as Ginger indicated. Steve Perry crunches work well! :) hehehe

Anonymous said...

Yay for your support of losing weight the old fashioned way! I also want to thank you for keeping your diet journal going strong!!! Some of my diet journal buddies have fallen off, and I find that so discouraging. Keep up the good work and keep writing through the good times and the bad!

--Jacqueline

Anonymous said...

A good friend of mine's mother had the gastric surgery done this year and almost died, was in the hospital for over a month and had to have subsequent surgeries. The crazy thing was she was never that overweight, just a "little chunky"! She was pushing for it, and they gave in on account of her bloodpressure was a little high! I also heard of someone who actually died recently just having a tummy tuck! DB