Sunday, April 18, 2004

The Journey

Today we went back to church and the Pastor said something that I really liked.  He said, "Life is a journey, and we control our destination by choices we make every day."

I know how frustrating my week was, and I know others like me who had a less than perfect week were also facing the quit or press on challenge that comes as the Journey hits the natural highs and lows that come with a long term life change.

When I first started this journey a lot time ago I was so afraid of facing a year or more of deprivation and heartache I chose to gauge my successes and failures on each and every single day.  As I passed my big milestones (breaking 300 and hitting the 50lb loss marker) my focus started to expand into the future and I lost sight of the daily journey.  When I was focused on the day's goals, I was meeting them.  And it all added up to make the big goals happen.

I've been considering a trip to Vegas in August for my anniversary.  If you've been with me from the beginning of this journal you'll know that I was reserving Las Vegas for the 100lb marker, which is totally within my grasp by mid August when I want to take this trip.  Finances have been strained, and it was more a pipe dream than anything else.  I found a package on Expedia for about $980 (round trip airfare for two, and two nights stay at a nice hotel), but you add all the incidentals on top of that and you have a pricey trip.  We're kinda behind as it is.

Then we got an invitation from Paris Las Vegas for three free nights this summer.  How convenient!  I also found pretty reasonable airfare that knocked the price of the trip in half.  Much more manageable.  So it's completely doable.

Problem is, if I don't lose exactly 2lbs a week until August, I won't meet that 100lb goal.  So I've been stressing about that scale showing a loss.  And I've been worrying about the future, all the while forsaking my daily goals.

And guess who hasn't been doing well on meeting either objective? <raises hand>

So, it's time to refocus.  I need to get my priorities straight and look at this Journey the right way - as a daily thing.  I only have to get through today and meet goal.  I only have to get through one day at a time.

It's time to control the destination.

Calories: 2334* / 26% fat
Sodium: 3448mg (eek!)
Water: 96oz (yay!)
Exercise: None

(I'm so mad about the calories.  I thought i had enough, up to 2200, for my banana and nilla wafer snack, but I forgot some lowfat pudding I had earlier.  It set me over.  Grrrr!  I was doing so good.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're doing a wonderful job.  When we drop weight water seems to race in and take a place-holder position.  This is temporary; exercise can bring minor swelling; again this is temporary. Water weighs MORE than fat.  So your results to me look like serious progress.  Drink the water always to chase this place-holder water away.  Just keep doing the right things and watch--you'll drop a big big amount.  Pray for me; I was dropping so fast with no appetite I got completely scared and ate inapproprately in order to put the brakes on --to test them and see if they still worked.  I am so cautious about losing my health in the weight loss battle.  Give a good comment on that problem!  Thanks and a big hug you are fabulous indeed.