Wednesday, March 31, 2004

The Clean Plate Club

"Waste not, want not."

"Don't you know there are children starving all over the world?"

"If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding.  How can you have any pudding if you won't eat your meat??"

I don't know about you but I'm a card carrying member of The Clean Plate Club.  This is why buffets are so dangerous for me.  If I pay $8 for all I can eat, I'm going to eat all I can.  But sadly it applies to every single thing I eat.  Portion control?  I don't need no stinkin portion control.  I paid for it, I'm gonna eat it.

I've tried the tricks.  Use a smaller plate.  Take half the order home.  But the hardest thing I ever did was learn to walk away without cleaning the plate.  If I'm full, I need to stop eating.  I can leave some on the plate to "save room for dessert".  I never understood that term before - dessert was always the reward for a sparkly clean plate.

I remember my California days where we'd go to eat at the Sizzler known for their  great salad bar.  If only it were salad that were on it.  They had pasta and fried chicken wings and my favorite, deep fried corn fritters.  (Pardon me whilst I wipe the drool from my chin).  And my kids made a complete value of the price of admission by eating their weight in soft serve ice cream.  If I paid that $6.95, I was going to eat at least $15.50's worth.

And let's not even get me started on Vegas, the Buffet Capital of the World.  Picture it:  The Mirage, 2000.  My kids brought plate after plate stuffed high with shrimp and crab legs... so did I!  Where else can you eat all the seafood you want for about $15?  I nearly had to be rolled out of the Fremont Hotel's Seafood Buffet.  And one day I'll get into the Great Champagne Incident at the Sahara.  Needless to say if you put a bargain loving Clean Plate card carrying gal in a city of excess, you're bound to have problems.

So to all the starving children in the world, and to my mother, I hereby apologize for ripping up my Clean Plate Club card.   These extra pounds aren't alieviating world hunger, and I'd much rather see those numbers in the scale go down rather than find my reflection on the bottom of the plate.

Calories: 1911 / 29% fat
Sodium: 2537mg
Water: 72oz
Exercise: 1.5 mile walk, ab roller, Pilates

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh sure. THIS is what you'll comment on. :P

Anonymous said...

Ahhh the great champagne incedent. Just to give them a teaser there was a couple that started counting the glasses as dan and I walked back and forth

Anonymous said...

::::giving cute puppy dog eyes:::::
Loooooooove yooooouuuuu

Anonymous said...

Ginger, You are a hoot and love you gal.. you put smiles in my day or night since it is 3:35AM where I live.. I have gone to buffets and thought I would eat my way out the door and lo and behold, I am a sloooow eater and by the time I am finished with my salad and meat I am full and upset because of it. Don't get me wrong, I am carrying around a lot more of me than I ever did and Lord knows I want it to change so.. carry on....God bless you rae :o)

Anonymous said...

Great entry as always!!!! ~RC~

Anonymous said...

Ginger, you made me smile and chuckle here as I remembered my own days at the Vegas buffets and even the Sizzler salad bar ~ just had that the other day for dinner .. I tried to be careful!

Smilin Mon

Anonymous said...

"Ahhh the great champagne incedent."

I MUST know more about this!!

Thank you for making me laugh! I think I finally know what I'm going to write about in my journal today thanks to your entry.

{{Julie}}

Anonymous said...

Buffets have also been a downfall for my family. Alas, the most resonable priced meal if you just have to eat out, at least where I live. My husband and I ate out at the chinese buffet yesterday, being starving and stressed after dealing with our taxes and accountant. Chinese is sort of our "comfort food". In years past we would have had a couple of very full plates, but we only went up once , got a "normal" amount" and didn"t even want more. Ahh-progress! DB