Sunday, March 7, 2004

"There's No Basement at the Alamo!!"

Don't worry.  I refrained from wearing my impossibly high heeled platform shoes and dancing to "Tequila".  Instead we had an absolute BLAST at San Antonio.  The kids all rave it's the best city in Texas, and their second favorite city to Las Vegas.  High praise. 

The main reason we went is because Timothy is studying about the Alamo and really got excited about this particular aspect of Texas History.  I'm all for helping foster that enthusiasm, even though I myself had never really had the desire to go.  I know.  Bad Texan. 

Going and actually walking the grounds made me so very proud to be a Texan and to know that this is what we stand for.  To live free from oppression.  To make a stand or die trying.  This has inspired me.  If they can all fight and die as heroes, then I can fight and live as one against anything.  Even this bloody weight loss.  We'll get into that later.

The San Antonio Zoo was an incredible experience.  Refer to the photos above for the details.  If you go I highly recommend the Lory Landing interactive exhibit.  It was by far our favorite part of the Zoo.  And I got 12,000+ steps in doing this and the River Center Mall.

If you're a mall fiend, you HAVE to go here.  It's one of the most interesting malls I've ever been in.  It's three stories and has the San Antonio River running through it.  This is where you can board a boat for a tour of the River, we went at dusk and it was incredible.  Such a great city.

With all that greatness came great temptation.  Two words for you.  Krispy and Kreme.  We don't have a local Krispy Kreme, so guess who wanted to buy some just because I was there?  Yep.  Guess who also went to a Marie Callenders and ordered a slice of the ever decadent razzleberry pie?  Right again.  On the flip side I did keep mostly to the diet, I drank water like a fish and I walked.  A lot.  Just ask my poor throbbing tootsies.

Meanwhile I'm beat.  I'll talk more tomorrow.  When I tackle my food and exercise with all the fire and gusto this proud Texan can muster.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great trip!!!

--Jacqueline

Anonymous said...

WOW, sounds like you had a great trip...the pics are awesome!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the photos! I feel as if I went on the trip with you! Hey Gin, you get so enthuastic, have you ever thought about writing for the Texas Monthly Magazine? It's one of my favorites! Let me know, I used to know someone connected with the publication. Not sure if she's still there.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Krispy's a @$#%! Hard to say no to just one or two. LOL

GREAT pictures. Thank you, thank you for sharing. Now I want to go!!

Glad you are home safe and sound. Back to the routine.....

Julie

Anonymous said...

Hi Ginger, thanks for sharing the pics, putting faces with names is great. Glad you had a wonderful time and yes, you show immense enthusiasm. The birds were beautiful. The mall sounds great. everyone should have one. Now, back to the norm. Blessings rae