Tuesday, March 16, 2004

For My First Wish I'd Like....

Steven and I got the rare opportunity to go for our walk together today.  We used to do it every day, now because of his work schedule, we do it once every couple of weeks.  It's sad, because that used to be "our" time. 

Anyway you can tell spring is on the way by all the little leaguers out practicing today.  As we made our way through the fray I noticed all the parents around my age (or maybe younger) who owned expensive SUVs, probably had nice jobs and nice homes that they own, not rent.  When I see things like this, I start to think that I've lived a half life.  I've coasted for so long, and skipped over things that other people managed to accomplish that I feel I'm coming in tardy for class. 

I always spent so much of my younger life dreaming of things I'd like to accomplish, up to and including the writing aspect of my life.  I've written a few books, but I've never really pursued selling them, and I never really polished the talent with any real discipline.  I am no Stephen King, who spent his time from early on practicing and honing his talent AND marketing himself to become who he is today.  No, I wanted to be the writer without doing any of that pesky writing stuff. 

I also wanted to be thin and gorgeous without doing any of that exercise stuff.  And if, two years ago, a genie plopped into my life to grant me any wish the first words out of my mouth would have been, "to be thin". 

Today, for the first time ever, I realized that if a genie appeared to me today I would NOT ask to be thin.  I'm perfectly okay with working off this weight because I know I CAN do it.  And this revelation means I can do anything else too.  I've been writing a lot lately, and I can see my skills develop.  So I know I can make that work on my own too.  I wouldn't ask for a new home or a new job - I no longer have to dream out of fear.

I can live out of faith.

Calories: 2039 / 24% fat

Sodium: 2316mg

Water: 72oz

Exercise: Walked 1.5 miles, 30 mins stationary bike

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo to you! Keep thinking positively and your dreams will come true. I have been lurking at this site for several weeks and last Saturday I started my change in eating habits to reduce my weight. I try to visualize success whenever possible.

Anonymous said...

Great writers always write about what they know. Is it possible you chose a path that gave you the non-suv perspective? (for now :-)). The novels/literature that endure came from those who did not "hone" their "craft" but wrote from what was within. King makes money but I do not regard anything of his as all that enriching. Gone With The Wind --tons of money and will be around maybe forever--written (I think) by a 12 year old girl. We live in a film era now.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love you determination! But don't feel that you've lived a *half life* or that you're tardy. :( Life IS about the journey. Live each day of it joyfully! Although it's good to pursue your goals, the goals aren't the *magic ticket* to happiness. Everyday along the way is special too!

--Jacqueline

Anonymous said...

I think that this was an EXCELLENT entry!!! I love your positivity. :-)
~RC~