Monday, March 15, 2004

Diets are not One Size Fits All

Posted on the entry below was a comment that suggested I could be losing weight faster if I went down to a lower calorie requirement and denied myself high caloric foods like fast foods.  That's most likely true.

However, this isn't my first time trying to lose weight and I had to find something that worked with my strengths AND my weaknesses.  One of my principle weaknessess is deprivation.  Ever since my dad died when I was 11, I've had this subconscious need never to deny myself anything ever again.  I keep medicating that inner child with excess to fill a void that won't ever be filled.  If I deprive myself totally, I backslide totally and ultimately abandon the process.  So the fact that I can indulge some of those impulses (and even when eating that bad stuff I still maintain my daily goals), and STILL lose weight is a big deal for me.  It's more important than how fast I can shed the weight.

Which is the second issue.  I'm highly impatient.  (this lends to the impulsiveness).  Whenever I've started diet programs that promised big results fast and I hit any kind of standstill, I'd quit.  So the fact I've allowed myself the time to get healthy without imposing any kind of unrealistic expectations on myself is another big deal for me.  No matter what I do or don't do, 20lbs a month is not a realistic expectation for me.  I'm comfortable with the 2lb loss a week I've experienced since the start. 

And studies show that the slower you lose the weight the better your chances are of keeping it off for good.  Speaking as someone who has gained and lost a gazillion pounds in her lifetime due to this diet or that, I like the sound of keeping it off for good. 

What I'm on is no diet.  It's eating enough calories to lose weight at a steady pace, making sure I meet all my nutiritional requirements and keeping my fat intake in the suggested range.  This is an eating plan for life, something I will maintain long after the weight is gone. 

So while I appreciate all comments and advice, the way I am approaching my weight loss is something I had to custom make for me.  I've adopted the pattern of keeping what works and weaning away what doesn't - it's all a learning process.  And for me, I've learned that a 1400 calorie diet devoid of all "comfort" foods is not a realistic long term approach to my weight loss.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are doing great! Don't worry about what other people say you should be doing, you've been losing weight, so obviously you know what you are doing! Keep up the good work!! Karie*

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you! I think the key to weight loss is finding what works for you. There is no one size fits all plan. Best wishes and keep up the good work.

--Jacqueline

Anonymous said...

Hey Ginger!
I hope your feeling better! Your right one size does not fit all. You found what works for you and your doing an awsome job keep it up =)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ginger! I fell upon your Journal awhile back. I enjoy reading your thoughts and feelings. I feel that not only are you doing a great job, I think your outlooks on what's best for you are awesome! Don't let anyone put you down! You are a beautiful women! If you ever need someone to chat with, please feel free to contact me via email. Go ahead and and me to your buddy list! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

Anonymous said...

Hi Gin: Just read your entry; it is wonderful that the other lady lost the weight and was kind enough to share her information with us all; I applaud her. I also am pleased to see that you know for your situation, the comforting emotional aspect of food is a central aspect of your completing the journey. Many diet experiences do put us in good stead for a complete victory--which is where we are going! [It's war baby!!!] As always your and the other comments are so helpful!!! Thank you!