Thursday, May 6, 2004

Trusting Your Gut

Yesterday I mentioned the 5 day on, 2 day off diet plan I had decided to adopt, figuring not only could I handle the 1200 calories in short spans, but it would also keep my metabolism guessing and keep me from the dreaded P word - that's Plateau folks.

Anyway imagine my surprise when Mon, the Queen Goddess of Weight Loss! mentioned that her son had been instructed by his Navy recruiter to adopt this diet.  I didn't even know it WAS a diet. 

So I googled around a bit and found "The Weekday Diet".  It contends that if you only have to be good five days a week, that you're more apt to stay on program.   Not only that but it will maintain the metabolic rate 24/7 and actually keep your body burning more fat. 

I was just fiddling around, I had no idea that this had already been discovered and used.  I guess that goes to show that after mastering enough eating strategies over enough time, you really do know what's best just instinctually. 

We'll see exactly how long term this plan can be, starting Saturday.  That will be the first day "off".  I'm taking my mom and my sister to Zookini's for lunch.  I don't plan to go overboard, although that key lime pie is definitely calling my name.  Like I said I'm going to use the caloric needs of what I will ultimately need to maintain my goal weight, this way I'm still learning how to eat properly.  If I went totally nuts on my two days off, then what's to stop me from going totally nuts all the way?  Nope, that's setting myself up for failure.

And this girl won't have anything to do with failure.  In fact, I've redefined my goals of what to do before I turn 40.  That's 6 more years. 

1. Get down to goal weight and maintain at no more than150lbs.
2. Sell a book AND/or a screenplay - a significant sale.
3. Have one more child, at least.
4. Own my own home.
5. Buy a new car, as in brand new car.
6. Travel to New York City.
7. Travel to Europe.
8. Go on a cruise
9. Run a mile (I never did it, even as a kid... it’s kind of a personal vendetta)
*10. Earn an Associates Degree in Communication (and start toward a Bachelor's Degree)
*11. Learn to speak another language
*12. Learn to swim
*13. Learn to dance

The ones indicated with an * are the new goals.  I told my son recently that goals without work are just dreams, so here's some of the work I plan to do to realize some of my goals.

I'm going to enroll at the local junior college for the fall semester.  We'll see what financial aid there is for me, and how many classes I can take to pursue an Associates Degree in Communication.  Whether it's full time or part time really depends on the type of grants/loans I can qualify for.  

Classes start in August, so starting next week I'm going to get everything in order to apply.   I'm nervous and kinda scared.  This is a big step for a hermit like me.   I'm not scared of the work.  I am not even afraid of failure.  My biggest anxiety comes from the social interaction.  I almost put off enrolling until Spring 2005.  But what I want is far greater than what I fear, so I decided I wanted to jump right in.  

I know, I can handle it.

In fact Lynne of  : : The Art of Balance : :   |   DivaFlava.com reminded me of a great scripture I need to commit to memory ASAP.

2 Timothy 1:7 (KJV) - For God hath not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of power and love and sound mind.

Sounds good to me.  :)

DAILY AFFIRMATION: I am powerful.

Calories: 1290 / 15% fat
Sodium: 2270mg
Calcium: 744mg
Water: 48oz
Exercise: Walked 2 miles

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gin!
 It would be interesting to see if each week you drop 4 pounds with this new eating program.  Four pounds or even three pounds is significantly more than you have been losing per week.   I looked up the diet and read about it, as you said I didn't know there was such a program either.  I may try your plan next week, my plateau has gone on for about 6 weeks & I need to "bump" it.  Thanks for the information.  You've got a lot of major goals set up for yourself, just don't foget to smell the roses too!  ;)  
Jumpin for Joy for Ginger!!!