Thursday, May 27, 2004

And the most popular diet is...

The Un-Diet.  What's an Un-Diet?  It's not really a diet at all, it's a personalized eating program where the user decides to combine several different dieting theories in order to make an eating plan he or she can ultimately live with.  So rather than living under the restrictive Atkins our South Beach, some may just cut down on processed carbs, keeping the important complex carbohydrates in their diet.  My buddy Dave is working all this out in his journal <A href="http://www.randomsynapses.com/bigfatloserdiet.asp">The Big Fat Loser's Diet.

I think most people recognize that there is something good that can be taken from each of the popular fad diets, even though those diets themselves aren't really a realistic option for long term weight control. 

I did South Beach at the very beginning of this journal.  If you've read back that far, and God bless you if you have, you know that didn't last very long.  The first week I lost 7lbs, but it leveled off and then stagnated, and I was in no mood to wait.  So I found another way.  Granted, I discovered about two months later that the home scale was not accurate and I more than likely was making progress (inches wise and body wise the weight loss was consistent), but after doing further research on the low carb diet I just determined that it wasn't for me for the long run.

Out of all of the diet fixes I've tried, I have to admit that the old adage, burn more than you eat, is the truly only way for me.  It's not fast, but it gives me a lot of freedom to eat pretty much what I want to and that lends toward my emotional issues that I've had to overcome to lose weight (i.e. deprivation and entitlement).

And there's no getting out of exercise either.  You gotta move.  I noticed in my body over this last week that I actually look leaner and taller.  I credit that to Pilates.  Why did I put this off for so long?

My eleven year old son has decided he wants to lose weight.  He's a little chunky and hates to be made fun of, so he's turned to his wise old Mama for her guidence.  I thought what would be fun is for us to do Tae Bo together.  I always aspired to learn kick boxing once I got to a certain weight, and Tae Bo incorporates a lot of fighting moves, which I like.  Not because I like to fight necessarily, but the hard reality is I am a woman in a world where 1 in 4 women are sexually attacked in their lifetime.  I became a statistic at 4 years old, and it was a big part of why I became obese.  So rather than protect myself hidden under layers of fat, I want to step into my own power - and that's what I feel like learning these different types of things will teach me.  I also would like to study the martial arts more extensively.  I just think it's a beautiful art form, and God knows I could use the discipline. 

I told my son about my plan and my older son also wants to get into the action, so maybe that's something we can all do together.  Which will be an interesting sight for me at least, since I have about zero coordination.

Additionally we want to purchase a family membership for the summer at our local YMCA.  They have a pool and tracks and weights, so I thought that would be a fun way for them to stay active during the summer, rather than sit at home playing Yu Gi Oh and their X Box.

Plus it puts me on the spot to learn how to swim.  Can I just confess to you the thought still scares me silly?  My best friend and co-writer for the newest project with us is planning a fall cruise next year, and Steven and I thought it'd be a great way to get in one of my pre-40 goals to plan to go along.  We're looking at the Bahamas, and there are a lot of things that I can't do now that might be fun to do then.  Snorkling, swimming with dolphins, and Steven thought it would be fun to go parasailing - I practically wet myself at the thought of all three.  Okay, the dolphin thing would be cool, but it still involves swimming.

BUT life is to be lived so I can't let my fear immobilize me anymore.  It all comes back to, I can handle it.  There's nothing to fear.  It's gonna be fun.  (Can you hear my teeth chattering?)

I would like to spotlight another journal today, I found it about a week ago as she was spotlighted on the AOL Diet and Fitness page.  This journal is chock full of helpful tips and advice, so give her blog a look-see.  Lots of good information there.

  Kim's Weightloss Journal ;)

DAILY AFFIRMATION: I am conquering my fears, one opportunity at a time.

Calories: 1457 / 15%
Sodium: 1366mg
Calcium: 839mg
Water: 72oz
Exercise: None

RED means I didn't meet goal
* Projected

***edited later, I was so tired I went to bed and missed dinner.  It's the Exhaustion Diet!  Low totals today, no exercise. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!  I just ran across your weight loss journey/journal and it is great!!  Your accomplishments thus far are awesome!  Congrats!  I have just started on my journey, it has only been 4 days.. but you do not know how encouraging your journal has been for me.  P.S. When ur ready, come on in to Lane Bryant and we'll treat you right!

Anonymous said...

I finally hit the 30 pound loss mark today, after a very,very.long plateau!  I guess you could say I've been on an undiet too.  A combination of being more aware of what and how much I'm eating and cutting back on processed carbs.  I still have to improve on getting more exercise.  I bought the Tae Bo tape a few years ago, but never gave it a try.  (Maybe I thought just buying it would help! HA!)  Really though, I would love to start doing it.  Thank you for reminding me that life is to be lived.  That is one of my biggest faults is letting busyness take over, and overlook whats more important.  DB