Friday, May 21, 2004

My Body Doth Protest Much

So I get on my exercise bike last night, raring to go and get into my "worship" state.  A few minutes into it I realized something.  My muscles were staging a revolt against the new regime.  My legs hurt, then later I realized my stomach muscles were tender and sore, now my back is moaning and groaning.  It's like my body was saying, "Hey... we thought you were through with this crazy phase."

But on the whole I enjoy the soreness.  It's a very tangible sign that I'm doing something, my body is changing.  The Pilates worked me down deep in the abdomen, which helps get rid of the lovehandles and that dreaded girth.  My legs haven't let me forget they are there all day. 

However THIS is a good pain.  I've heard women say that childbirth is a good pain - which I disagree with, childbirth is PAIN pain.  The baby afterwards is good, but the pain during, uh uh.  Not good.  And I say this as a woman who had her last child, a 10lb baby, without any drugs whatsoever.  So believe me when I tell you, that's pain pain.  I didn't relish it, I wanted drugs and plenty of them.

But a little stiffness, a twinge of soreness because you are sculpting your body - good pain.  I get to do Pilates again tonight and stretch all this out.  It's going to be hard at first, but it's not impossible.  Tomorrow I take my measurements, which is the only weekly tracking of my progress I'm going to use.  Generally my inches have consistantly dropped, so it's much less frustrating that weighing in.

But you know what?  I'm not even worried about that anymore.  I believe that in life you reap what you sow, and I'm sowing for a harvest of good health and fitness.  There are no worries.  I'm thinking thin.

A little off topic, a big shout out to my Daytime Emmy winners.  I've been watching General Hospital off and on since 1978, and my show did me proud tonight.  But most importantly just a lot of love goes to Anna Lee, who played the gracious and elegant Lila Quartermaine for 25 years.  She passed away on May 14 at the age of 91.  She will be missed.

And I especially want to single out Chad Brannon, who played Zander Smith, for acknowledging Jesus in his acceptance speech, and giving the glory where it truly belongs.

DAILY AFFIRMATION: I am sculpting a beautiful and healthy body.

Calories: 1685 / 23%
Sodium: 3006mg
Calcium: 1312mg
Water: 72oz
Exercise: stationary bike 30 minutes, Pilates

RED means I did not meet goal
* Projected

No comments: