Saturday, May 15, 2004

Starting the Weekend a Few Hours Early

It all happened innocently enough.  We drove past a BBQ joint here in town.  Steven said that the people at the hotel rave over this place, that it has some really good food.  It sure smelled like it.

So I relented and we went out to eat.  I figured my day was pretty good so far so I wouldn't go that far over.  (I didn't, I think it was only 1700+ calories for the day).  I also chose healthy stuff, except for the potato salad.  I had just a taste of that. 

I had the grilled chicken breast and it was wonderful.  This is definitely a restaurant we'll be returning to.  Steven had the ribeye ends and tips, and the meat was so tender I could even eat it.  I don't generally eat red meat, mostly because of the leathery texture.  Back when we were uninsured and I had some pretty bad dental problems I got out of the habit of chewing anything that required any real effort, just to avoid pain.  After I had the offending teeth pulled, I still didn't eat it because by then it was just habit not to have to work that hard to eat.  And it ended up being a good thing, I lean toward things like fish and chicken (although chicken can be iffy too, depending on how it's cooked) - which ended up being good for the diet.

When we BBQ, I always get a salmon steak or filet when the guys get their steaks.  I don't feel deprived at all.  Some people don't like fish, but I'm all about the seafood.  When we eat out, that's what I tend to order.  Makes me an expensive date - but I'm worth it.  :)

Tomorrow is weigh in day.  My home scale shows a loss, so I'm hopeful.  It may not be the drastic 4 pound-er we got last week, but as long as it's moving down I'm okay.  No more stagnation for this girl. 

And that includes more than just the weight loss too.  I sent off the script today to the management company, as well as a copy to the Austin Film Festival.  I decided that even if I don't advance in that contest, I'm going to plan to go to the Festival anyway.  It's a great way to network and meet industry contacts, and I'm never going to make it as a screenwriter if I don't emerge from my cocoon and take some risks.  This is pretty risky stuff.  It puts me in line with people who can make my career happen.  I can learn from their panels, some of the writers include the writers of such movies as Troy, The IronGiant, Finding Forrester, Cast Away and Apollo 13, Minority Report and Get Shorty, Gladiator, Beverly Hills Cop 1-3, Pratical Magic... you get the idea.  Some of the panelists include a story consultant, an entertainment attorney, a producer - the list is endless.

So I have my work cut out for me.  First of all to work on my weight so that I feel confident in the midst of these people.  I know I won't be 145lbs at the time of the conference, but I can make a goal for about 40-50lbs more lost by October. 

The other important aspect is to get my scripts as polished and ready as possible, because hopefully as we pitch to different industry types we will generate interest in our projects.  I've got a couple of more projects I can probably get written and polished in time. 

Each step I take is going to lead me in a direction.  The beauty of it is I get to choose where I'm going.  Like I've said before, goals without work are just dreams, and I'm tired of dreaming of being a writer.  I have always known what I needed to do, now I just need to do it.

And it'll be fun.  I'll get to meet people I've "known" for a couple of years over at my screenwriting message board, we'll hang out and party.  I've never really been to Austin so that will be fun as well.

Life is about experiences.  And this will be a whopper.

DAILY AFFIRMATION: I am taking steps to be a professional writer.

Calories: 1719 / 24% fat
Sodium: 3189mg
Calcium: 1141mg
Water: 72oz
Exercise: None

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gin!
 You know, I like goals with specific dates.  Like you know you will go to the conference in October so you plan on losing 40 to 50 pounds by then.
 I thought I was going to see Journey in 1996 or 97 so I lost a bunch of weight and exercised every morning.  I lost down to a tiny little size 4 (remember though, I am barely 5'1" on my tallest day).  I was ready for ol Steve Perry...... but ol Steve Perry wasn't ready for us, was he?!  LOL!
 My rambling point is, I had a goal date and I like that kind of structure.  It seems from you past comments that you do well with a timeframe too.  
 Best wishes as you do this for yourself!  YOU GO GIRL!!!
Love,
Jeannie

Anonymous said...

hi!  I meant to send this yesterday ... :)

I Hope You Dance

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder,
You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger,
May you never take one single breath for granted,
GOD forbid love ever leave you empty handed,
I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean,
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens,
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance,
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance.

I hope you dance....I hope you dance.

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance,
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Livin' might mean takin' chances but they're worth takin',
Lovin' might be a mistake but it's worth makin',
Don't let some hell bent heart leave you bitter,
When you come close to sellin' out reconsider,
Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance,
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance.

I hope you dance....I hope you dance.
I hope you dance....I hope you dance.
(Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along,
Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder where those years have gone.)

I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean,
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens,
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance,
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance.

Dance....I hope you dance.
I hope you dance....I hope you dance.
I hope you dance....I hope you dance..
(Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along
Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder where those years have gone