Thursday, November 4, 2004

Wonders Never Cease

Last night was our first official workout with our personal trainer, Abel.  I have good news, I still like him.  I don't think he's going to be a drill sargeant meant to cause me great pain.  In fact, he was very supportive  and encouraging, giving us lots of praise.  That was nice.

I didn't feel as conspicuous as I did yesterday and it was just as crowded.  We didn't get our stats in because again he was busy when we got in so he sent us straight to the cardio equipment to warm up.  But tomorrow without fail we will get that down .  I'm really excited to see what progress I'm going to make.

 


I never thought how imagined how good it would make me feel.  Instead of feeling stuck in the mud like before I actually feel like I'm doing something that will work.   

I'm feeling much more in control than I have in a long time.  It feels great.


 


So great that we're going to sign the kids up too.  This way the kids are with us and we're not taking time away time away from the family in order to work on our health, and it instills some important fitness values to the kids so they have a firm foundation on which to build. 

I think it will help their self esteem by leaps and bounds to watch their body change and improve, as they gain strength and stamina.  Plus it they can watch by example what I'm doing to change and grow, and in return be an example of hot w to overcome the insurmountable.


 


I don't know if any of you watch the new ABC series "Lost".  If not, you definitely should.  It's probably the best new show I've seen in a very long time.  It's about a plane that broke up over the tropics and the few survivors that find themselves  "lost" on an  deserted island. 

The drama comes not only from survival (they are on an island with an unseen very large creature that topples tall trees and tore up the pilot of the plane), but from the different stories of the characters themselves.  It's really an interesting study of human behavior.


 


Well last night's episode concentrated on Charlie.  He's a drug addicted has-been musician who didn't feel like he was good for anything, hence the drug addiction. 

Anyway last night was his moment to shine as he was finally able to step up to the plate and live up to the faith that two total strangers put into him.

It was difficult, naturally.  He's going through detox because another passenger, Locke, took his drugs away.  He told Charlie all he had to do was ask for it back three times and he'd give it to him.  Locke determined that if charlie wanted to kick the habit, he'd do it by choice.


To illustrate his point he found a moth cocoon.  He said that you even though he could open the tiny little hole the moth was digging to get free and help the moth make it to freedom sooner, the struggle to get out of that coccoon was nature's way of strengthening the moth to prepare it for what it would encounter once it was free.

 

I couldn't help but think that maybe, just maybe, I'm like that moth.  I'm digging my way from this cocoon of fat, and in the struggle I'm becoming strong enough to handle finally flying free.

It's okay that it doesn't come right away, or even easily.  Each struggle is there for the sole purpose of teaching me something I'm going to need to know once i get reach the end of this path. 


 

This seems to be a recurring theme lately.  I hear it from different sources and it all rings so true.  It's It's okay to be imperfect, because it's in that imperfection I learn what I need to learn.

If we all were born perfect we wouldn't need this strange little journey called life at all.  Every obstacle is an opportunity to grow.  I need to embrace it rather than resist it.


 


Tip of the Day: SURROUND YOURSELF WITH SUPPORT.  This journey is not for the faint hearted.  There will be ups and lots of downs.  When down, you need a strong support system to help you back on your feet.  Find people who can encourage and not judge, who understand your journey and who genuinely care about what's best for you.  Remember.  You can't soar with the eagles as long as you're hanging around with the turkeys. 

 


Stats:
Calories; 1661
Fat: 30%
Sat. Fat: 11%
Fiber: 28g
Calcium: 1259mg
Sodium: 2525mg
Water: 48oz
Exercise: 10 mins exercise bike,  level 1 w/ hills, 50 mins weight training on chest and back


DAILY AFFIRMATION: I have everything I need to succeed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been hearing a lot of talk about the show Lost and how good it is and I really want to see it...I just keep missing it. You're doing a really fantastic job on your workout and getting the family involved. It's instilling in them good values on how to take care of themselves.

http://journals.aol.com/derasta/ADayInTheLife

Anonymous said...

You continue to inspire me. Thank You.