Monday, November 8, 2004

Just Another Manic Monday (whoa-oh-oh)

Have you noticed I tend to put happy as my mood after going to the gym?  I'm addicted to those endorphins, let me tell ya.

I was a little concerned that my legs wouldn't let me ride the bike all the way, but they did.  I was a little concerned that I wouldn't make the two minutes on the eliptical, I went ahead and did three again (take THAT Mr. Eliptical).  I even got on the treadmill for a couple of minutes. 

It was a good workout, although I think I was on acid when I had Abel set those weights last week because they felt a LOT heavier today.  But I still did them.

I'm such a little trooper.

 

So I noticed that I'm once again featured on AOL Diet & Fitness.  For the first time in a long time I feel like I'm qualified to be there, weight plateau be darned.  I'm forging on and making the changes to my health, regardless of what the scale says. 

I do look forward to seeing the changes the first week of December though.  It'll be really neat to see those stats change thanks to all this exercise.  And not just in pounds lost, but in body fat percentage.  No longer will I have to question if I'm gaining muscle instead of losing fat OR retaining water.  This scale tells me everything.  I think it even told me what the weather was the day I was born.

The scale "knows".

 

Anyway I thought I'd take a moment to go over my eating program again.  What I'm doing isn't a diet.  I don't believe in diets.  I believe in learning how to eat right and eat for the right reasons.  I found out how many calories I need to maintain my current weight (again, from the nifty scale from Gold's) and I simply shave several hundred off.

Mathematically if you create a calorie deficit of 1000 calories per day, in a week you can lose about 2lbs (7000 calories).  If only weight loss were so predictable.  But it's a formula, and from the formula I can create a plan and I really like plans.  So I go with it.

I used to depend solely on my food intake to shave those calories off, but that led to the much maligned plateau I've endured for the past six months.  The new advice I'm heeding, "Diet less, exercise more."  Therefore I'm turning into a total gym rat and working hard to burn those calories.

We'll know if this works the first week of December, as I'm not going to be doing weekly weigh ins anymore.  I'm shifting my focus from numbers on a scale to accomplishing goals in the gym or on my nutritional intake.  If I do that, then the numbers have no where else to go but down.  I'm just not going to pressure myself about it.

 

I've come a long way.  It's time to put some faith in myself that I can do this without needing a scale to validate my efforts.  The validation comes from seeing where I started and knowing I'm 72lbs lighter and 10 dress sizes smaller. 

Right now I'm about to pull my arm out of socket from patting myself on the back so much at all the stuff I'm able to do at the gym.  Okay, so I can't do thirty mins on the eliptical yet.  So I can't do very many of those crunches at a time.  Compared to what I could do a year ago, I've come a long way, baby.

Like I said yesterday, it's not about where you started.  It's about where you're headed.

And I've got a one way ticket to Thinsville USA.

 

Tip of the Day: DINING OUT, PART V.  The thrillin's in the grillin.  Skip all that battered deep fried stuff, go for grilled meats instead.  Get something seasoned with a spice rub and ditch the butter or cream based sauces (see yesterday's tip).  For an extra treat find those grilled meat combinations that include vegetables (like salsa). 

 

Stats:

Calories: 1824
Fat: 25%
Sat. Fat: 7%
Fiber: 40g
Calcium: 1759mg
Sodium: 3789mg
Water: 72oz
Exercise: stationary bike 30 mins, eliptical 3 mins, 30 crunches, 30 mins weight training/arms.

DAILY AFFIRMATION:  Every day I'm becoming stronger and more fit.

 

 

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gin!
 You are doing so well and I am so proud for your hard work.  Does it seem possible now that you could work at a fitness center?  I think I told you about one of my clients that lost over 100 pounds and now works in a fitness center.  Lindsey took the same route you are and has an amazing healthy (not Twiggy skinny!) taught body.
 Looks as if you are headed there quickly!  Keep up the great work!!  I can't wait to see what December holds for you!

Anonymous said...

:)  I am glad that you are doing better and feeling better!  Nice to see you featured too.  You are truly an inspiration, the way you keep going even when things are hard and plateaus hit.

I am being featured again too...although I wasn't told ahead of time which I find weird.

Good luck on your journey.  

--Jacqueline

Anonymous said...

Hey Ginger. Congrats on ur progress. You are staring your fears directly in the eye and showing them who is boss....KUDOS!! Just keep on pushing. You will be where you want and need to be soon enough. Keep it up!!

Alyssa

Anonymous said...

you are doing great...staying busy helps a lot.i do water aerobics and swim because of problems walking to far.the exercise has raised my self-esteem alot.because in the water i have more freedom of movement and the exercise helps me to accomplish more during the day.when i started saying no to people i did me a favor.i have found that we do love others as we love ourselves.it is hard to really love others when we are neglecting ourselves and literally killing ourselves with food.i know my weight gain was due to physical problems but a lot of emotional reasons too.but i have learned that it really doesn't keep people from getting close to my heart and thats what i try to protect the most.now i am learning day by day that pain and heartaches will come no matter if i weigh 396lbs or 150.i am trying to learn better ways of dealing with people who get to me.one thing i do is pray for me and them.i try to remember we are not perfect and that the compassion i have toward others is what i need to show to myself.i am looking forward to the day i weigh 350lbs no matter how long it takes me i am going to get there in time.best wishes to you in all your endeavours.