Monday, November 1, 2004

Weight Loss is NOT Reality TV

So I finally catch a bit of that show "The Biggest Loser" tonight and just color me livid. 

Weight loss isn't a game - and what they're doing parading those poor people around and then pitting them against each other is just the saddest thing I ever saw.

Caroline Rhea, SHAME ON YOU for even being a participant.  You have had your own battles with weight and you'd willingly sign up for a program that is just completely downright WRONG.

 

Apparently there are two groups, a red group and a blue group.  The red group is losing weight commando style.  They're exercising round the clock, barely eating, barely sleeping and the first week they dropped a ton o' weight.  One guy lost 22lbs.  22lbs!! 

Now as a person who has dieted plenty in her life, I knew their second weigh in wasn't going to be as dramatic.  We all did.  Apparently however, they missed the memo.  When they got up on the scales and didn't lose anything or gained, or was like one dude and "only" lost 7lbs (only???), they were understandably disappointed.

All that matters is who loses the most so they can win the dough.  Talk about putting emphasis on the numbers!!  We're talking what I'm experiencing on a small scale, network TV has decided to broadcast for maximum drama.

We have a team who is turning on each other rather than supporting each other.  The guy who lost 22lbs in a week and ended up gaining was devastated and no one comforted him - no one did what you guys do for me every single day offering unwavering support and understanding.

It's just sick and cruel and I don't like it.  Not one little bit.

 

Weight loss is not a formula.  Some people are going to lose quicker than others.  So many things factor into it that you just cannot predict how much weight is going to be lost by any one person in any given time.  Experts are warning of the dangers of this show, saying that super fast weight loss is not the key.  They say that you should aspire to lose 1% of your body weight per week.  For me that would be 2.8lbs.  For that dude to lose 22lbs was first of all - not all fat, most likely water and very easily regainable. 

Tome this show is as dangerous as putting an alcoholic into a recovery program via "reality" TV, with booze available and around them 24/7 to tempt them, with a big money prize at the end for who detoxes first.  People would have a literal cow if NBC did that, but to parade these poor people around in front of us all like cattle and then create all this angst and drama is just wrong.  It's wrong.

 

And it feeds into the whole "if you just ate less and exercised you'd lose weight" type of judgment that a lot of normal weight people feel in regards to obese people.

It's not about the weight.  What's that saying?  It's not about what we're eating, but what is eating us? 

They need to get at the root of the emotional eating behavior all the way retraining the way they think and the way they act.  No one is ever going to see life long weight loss because of a crash diet or a competition.  It comes down to lifestyle changes.  Period.

 

And success is more than just how much weight they can lose in a week.  If I believed that I'd have quit a long time ago.  But I made the commitment I was going to change the way I ate FOREVER.  I was realistic and I managed to find a system that works for me.  Now that we're going to address the exercise, I have no doubt that eventually I'll get to my goal weight. 

This is what the experts had to say:

Weight loss is a three- to five-year process, says Wilkinson. "For lifestyle to change and physiology of the body to change, it truly is a long-term process. We recommend losing 1% of current body weight every week. Otherwise, body chemistry gets out of disturbance, and you lose only water weight and lean [muscle] tissue, which causes your metabolism to drop, making it even harder to lose weight."

So what happens when the red team didn't lose mega amounts of weight?  Everyone got extremely discouraged.  It's good TV, I guess.  But reality?  I think not.

 

I'm so annoyed I can't even tell you.  This is not the way to nurture people to lose weight.  It's dog eat dog and a bloodthirsty nationwatches. 

It is just wrong on so many levels.

Boycott this show.  Write angry letters to NBC. 

And Caroline Rhea... SHAME ON YOU!!

 

Hopping off that soap box and onto a political one...

I hope everyone has either voted early or plans to vote tomorrow.  I cannot stress enough how important this election is.  So much is at stake.  I'd go off on a political rant but that's just not what this journal is about so I will spare you, but just know that you DO have a voice, you CAN make a difference and you DO count.

Cast your ballot and be careful to double check your ballot to make sure the person you're voting for is actually getting your vote.  I found out that some voter machines in Travis County Texas were faulty.  If someone voted a straight democratic ticket they ended up voting for Bush.  So be careful.  If this happens be sure to tell your election officials ASAP to correct it. 

http://www.snopes.com/politics/ballot/travis.asp

 

Songs to PUMP you UP

I haven't exercised yet.  It looks like I'm getting better sleep by going to bed later, so therefore I'm getting up later.  But I'm gonna, and tomorrow is our first day at the gym.  Anyway gonna get 30 mins in a little later, will update with songs then.

 

Tip of the DayROCK A BYE FAT CELLS.  Getting proper sleep is crucial to weight loss.  As we sleep we release a growth hormone that helps you burn fat and convert it into energy and muscle.  Body repair works only when the body is at rest or sleep, never during exercise.  Plus when you don't get enough sleep you feel sluggish and are less likely to keep active or make good food choices.  I know from experience I used to live off of caffeine and sugar just because I wasn't getting enough sleep and always needed a "pick me up".  So get some tea and relax and get some shut eye.  Your body will thank you for it.

 

Stats:

Calories: 2020
Fat: 30%
Sat. Fat: 11%
Fiber: 35g
Calcium: 1494mg
Sodium: 3450mg (still working on this one)
Exercise: 30 mins stationary bike (pending)

DAILY AFFIRMATION:  Weight loss isn't a game - it's the natural byproduct of the healthy new lifestyle I deserve.

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't even dare tune in to watch that show because I knew it would make my blood boil...that one and "The Swan"....that one makes me sooo angry every time I watch it!!! (which was also on TV last night) I just avoided TV altogether last night and went to bed early to hide my head and my big fat opinionated mouth. (Sheeesh...that sounds like it could be another reality TV show!  Yikes...don't tell the networks!!!)  I've been on my soap box quite a bit lately about quite a few things and all it has done is serve to get people ticked off at me. (not in J-land...jest here in my own back yard)  But I won't get started on that...could right volumes!  Annnnywaayyyy...have a great work out at the gym today!  You can do it!!!  Pump that iron...lift those weights...burn those calories....LOL ROFL  :-D

Anonymous said...

I think you're doing great.  Hope everything goes well at the gym!  :)

Anonymous said...

I hadn't seen that show, and I am glad I haven't!  I WON'T!  That's awful!!!!!

Tracy

Anonymous said...

I did see the last weeks show I can't stand how they are humiliating these people on national TV they are not animals they are humans and that poor man that ended up gaining 3LBS seeing him cry on TV for the world to see just broke my heart weight loss is no easy task and these people should be helping each other through this insteed of compeating I don't plain to watch it again