Thursday, November 18, 2004

Another Back Attack

No gym today.  More pain in the back and I don't want to risk my back going out.

Yeah, I know.  I need to go see a doctor.

Meanwhile I'm going to go take a muscle relaxer and get some rest. 

No super woman today. 

I'm feeling really guilty about it, though.  It's that perfection thing again.  I really need to get over myself.  Honestly.

Okay I wasn't going to admit how I hurt my back because of the perfection thing but that's not being honest and I need to be totally honest.

Yesterday we were at the gym doing our leg weight training.  There's a machine there where you lay down on it, get scrunched up like an accordion, then use your legs to push yourself up and down like deep squats laying down. 

When we trained with Abel he set us up on which ever level we could do, and both Steven and I thought I was supposed to be on 2 (1 is the lowest, and most folded in half you are), so I got squeezed completely in half to do this.  My back started to nag at that point, but I figured since I'd done it before I could do it again and worked my way through it - assuming that it was because we hadn't worked out in several days that I was feeling the pain. 

Then Steven says, "Oh, you were on 3, not 2."

That was like on 3 of 12 reps, but I kept on going just to get it over with. 

So today, I felt some residual soreness but I wasn't really hurting hurting until we went to Walmart to do our grocery shopping.  By the time we were heading out to the parking lot to leave I got a sharp pain from my hip down my leg.  I sat down in the car very slowly, but when I got up the pain was much sharper.

Now I can barely bend and my back has let me know in no uncertain terms that any quick movement will not be tolerated.  That meant no bike, no treadmill, no eliptical - no gym.

Yes I know I was silly.  I've confessed.  I repent.  My bad.

If y'all haven't checked out my best friend Jeff's journal, go immediately and see what he's done.  I like his what he's reading/watching feature.  I can't keep up with that boy when it comes to reading.  He reads like a maniac.  I think he even tops Steven (who is a voracious reader).  Anyway if you visit give him a holla.  He's a baby blogger, so grow with him.  :)  Point.Click.Jeff

Tip of the Day: HOLIDAY STRATEGIES, PART IV.  Out of sight, out of mind.  Serve buffet style from another room rather than family style at the table.  That way people have to serve themselves and then sit.  Once you get caught up in visiting, you will be less likely to overeat if it's not within easy access. 

Stats:

Calories: 1829
Fat: 28%
Sat. Fat: 7%
Fiber: 32g
Calcium: 1662mg
Sodium: 3904mg
Water: 72oz
Exercise: I shopped till I dropped.  Literally. 

DAILY AFFIRMATION:  There's no shame in taking care of myself and listening to my body. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great tips for thanksgiving ginger!

Anonymous said...

Remember when we were young and stupid and laughed at the "You know you are old when" list and it had one that says "your back goes out more than you do"?  LOL If only we'd have known!  Hope you get to feeling better, Jeff

Anonymous said...

I hope your back feels better VERY soon!!!!!  I am goin to check out your friends journal right now!

Tracy