Monday, November 29, 2004

That first step is a LOO LOO

The step back up to the wagon is a whole lot higher than I remember.  Getting back on program today was SO HARD.  I fought the temptation all day to eat right, and having leftover goodies (aka baddies) around didn't help my willpower at all. 

I also ended up taking a nap, which meant I didn't want to do diddly when I got up.  I got some work done and some writing done but it was like pulling teeth.

So the last thing I wanted to do was hit the gym today.  I did go and I weighed in to make sure I had no excuses to slack off.  I won't do my official weigh in until next Monday, so I have an entire week to change what I saw today.

Let's just say it was bad.  And I figured out why.  I didn't do too badly on the food choices I made, but the alcohol consumption was up.  Let me emphasize again how much this affects weight loss.  I'm living proof.  I walked my tushy off and I didn't pig out, yet I still saw a gain.

Quite possibly that time of the month could have a lot to do with it, but also drinking a couple of bottles of wine in five days didn't help. 

So I'm back on the wagon but hanging on by my fingernails.  I may have won the battle with food, but I need to fix my thinking about calories that I drink too.  We're getting there, slowly but surely.

And the most important thing is not whether or not you fall down, because we all fall down.  It's a matter of not staying down that counts.  And I'm not down, not by a long shot. 

When I first started measuring my "girth" (at the beginning of the year) the tape measure wouldn't reach and it was a good 7" bigger than my hips - which is why I always had a hard time getting into sizes.  My bust/waist/hip never fit the size because of my sizable gut.  Well now that number has dropped from 7" to 3", which is why I can fit so well into the size my bust/waist/hip suggest.

This is a big thing for me.  I'll do thosecrunches man.  I'm up to 45 now.  I'm also up to three sets of 12 reps for the weights, and tonight I felt like I could do more.  I did 5 mins on the eliptical but I had to stop the bike at 22 mins.  I picked a bike that had shoe straps and my feet literally fell asleep halfway through.  It just hurt, so I cut it a little short.  My goal was to at least make it to 20, so I pressed on to 22.  It helps having all the skinny people behind me working on the treadmills and the elipticals.  I don't want them thinking I'm a big ol wimp just because I'm overweight.

You know that old saying.  Pride goeth before a heart attack.

My biggest accomplishment of the day was returning some of those bad goodies to my sister's house rather than keep them in the house.  I decided if I couldn't withstand the temptation I just needed to get rid of that temptation.  I feel so much stronger now that it's gone.  It was good, but feeling thinner is much better.

To quote Nan, onward and downard so I can go upward.

Tip of the DayVISUALIZE SUCCESS

Dream of the life you want and visualize what it will look like -- what you will be doing -- how you will be living. Find a picture that best illustrates what that life will be like and place it somewhere you will see it every day and on it write what your life IS going to be like!

You must first visualize before you can realize!

 

 

Stats:

Calories: 1906
Fat: 36%
Sat. Fat: 14%
Fiber: 20
Calcium: 1196mg
Sodium: 5109mg
Water: 48oz
Exercise:
             22 mins stationary bike
              5 mins eliptical trainer
             30 mins weight training/arms
              45 crunches

DAILY AFFIRMATION:  There's no shame in falling down.  There's just no good reason to stay there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you (and inspired by you as well) for your tenacity in never giving up and pressing on!  Your positive affirmations to yourself encourage me to keep going as well.  Hang in there with the gym. (I know you will)  Before you know it you will be doing all kinds of crunches and lifting more than you ever thought possible!  I have to say...you are braver than I am when it comes to the eliptical machine!  I have yet to give that thing more than just a passing glance.  Maybe some year I'll give it a try.  LOL  Keep up the good work! *HUGS* Nancy :-)

Anonymous said...

The leftover goodies are always a big temptation to me too!  

Thank you for today's affirmation.  I really needed it.

Anonymous said...

I Love your tips and daily affirmations.  Thank You!

Anonymous said...

I am new to these weight loss journals--but I know inspiration when I see it!
Your journal is incredible--I love the tips and affirmations.  
(My biggest holiday food problem is that I LOVE to cook and bake!  I try to make sure that everything gets sent to someone else's house, so I can't eat it, lol.)
I can't wait to see your progress, and to come here for encouragement when I really feel down.
I just started my journal, but I would love for you to read it sometime, and leave tips and comments--I am looking for other hardworking souls out here in the "blogosphere"!
http://journals.aol.com/libgal81/pants/
-Lib (Katie)

Thank you for putting yourself out there--it's hard, but meaningful for those of us who need to know that other people are in the same boat!