Thursday, October 21, 2004

Two Words: Candy Corn

Thanks to everyone for their prayers and concern for Jeremiah.  He's off to school to show off his boo boo and be the center of attention all day long.  What torture LOL.

As for me I have a minor headache that has haunted me for days because I couldn't sleep for squat.  I thought I was in control of my stress but I realized last night, I was wrong.

 

Which brings me to the title of my entry today.  If there's one weakness I have during the Halloween candy season, it's candy corn.  Specifically the pumpkin looking kind.  Pure sugar through and through.  I faced off against candy corn at the walmart last week and won the battle.  At Target the other day, I folded like a cheap lawn chair. 

But that's not the worst of it.  I have wanted to eat badly these last few days.  We're talking cheeseburgers and fattening food - fried chicken, mashed potatoes, etc etc etc.  I recognized the pattern at the emergency room yesterday when I went past the vending machine and wanted a candy bar.  I hardly ever eat candy bars - the real kind.  But I wanted one so badly my mouth started to water.

Then I wanted a whataburger last night on the way home.  But not just a whataburger, a whataburger and a fried apple pie.  And when I didn't get it, I was seriously p*ssed off. 

 

This accident has really thrown me for a loop.  Aside from what happened in February, this is one of the most stressful things that has happened to me during this year.  And the very first thing I want to do to comfort myself is to stuff everything I'm feeling down with food. 

It really surprised me to make this revelation.  I was so certain I had it all under control.  The eating issue had long been resolved to my mind. 

I think subconsciously the plateau has a lot to do with it.  I'm tired of depriving myself only to stand in the same place.  Yes, I'm glad I've lost inches.  Yes, I'm impressed with losing ten dress sizes.  But I gotta tell you, when something like this happens and I'm faced with all these old triggers, being at this plateau seriously has me flipping over into entitlement from the deprivation.

 

Which brings me to an important conclusion.  The no sugar thing hasn't worked for me.  The first month I lost 6lbs but after that I have lost nothing, even gained.  I don't think sugar is my culprit.  In fact, I'll go even further to say I think sodium was far more detrimental to my diet than sugar ever was.

This is not to suggest that I plan to go back to my old way of eating.  I actually like things like no sugar cookies, candies and ice cream.  I don't drink sugared sodas anymore and haven't for a very long time.  But what it means is if I want a donut I'm going to give myself a donut.

Everything is permissible in the correct portion.  I can eat three oreo cookies (or whatever a serving is), just not down the whole bag.

Over my history I have proven that being able to eat a cheeseburger now and again or have a Krispy Kreme every once and a while - or the fried apple pie - actually HELPED me lose weight.  Which leads me to

 

Tip of the DayBE  PRACTICAL!  Don't go on a diet that you cannot adhere to for the rest of your life.  Nothing sabotages a diet worse than thinking you'll never be able to eat another piece of cheesecake or another piece of pizza.  It's not so much what you eat, it's how much you eat.  And research has even shown that a little bit of the good stuff is preferable to a bunch of "healthy" alternatives. 

 

I'll write more on this subject later.  The school has called and now saying I have to take Jeremiah to yet another doctor.

One more day off routine and another day dangerously teetering on going off program.

God give me strength.

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could stick to something but I've had a hard time ever since i've come home from Sweden...and I had been doing really good up until that point...the good thing is I haven't gained anything, but i'm not losing either...I just have to put my mind to it and do it...

http://journals.aol.com/derasta/ADayInTheLife

Anonymous said...

I think just the fact that you are realizing what sets off your eating patterns is good. I started back on my diet 2 weeks ago and have lost 18 pounds. And you are my motivation. I slipped up yesterday and downed a dble cheeseburger and 5 mini choc chip cookies. I was angry at myself, and I realized I did it because I was bored!!! Of all things. Fortunately, I'm using Weight Watcher's plan and although I used waaaay to many points, I can adjust them over the next few days for my sins. The point systems allows for that occasional KrispyKreme--just occasionally mind you. I think that the more you deprive yourself of something, the stronger the urge to eat it becomes, then you eat a whole bag instead of a taste. I package everything, even treats in baggies and mark the points on the serving. Then I can  still indulge in an occassional treat, but know EXACTLY what its going to cost me. You go Girl, I'm rooting for you.
Marj

Anonymous said...

I will keep you and Jerenmiah in my prayers!

Tracy

Anonymous said...

Dear Ginger,
 My mother died of a heart attack, My daddy died of a heart attack, my brother died of a heart attack, my sister had a heart attack in June and a stroke in July, I have heart problems now ... PLEASE don't go down the slippery slope of not eating properly.  You've come too far to let go now.  Remember why you started your Journey, for health not a size 10.
 <Putting soapbox away>  OK, I'm done preachin'  ... LOL!  
Love ya sista

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Ginger!  You're tired right now and it's hard to stay focused when you're tired.  Just hang on until you get past this and you'll re-find the energy you need to keep going.  Oh..and read the entry in my journal today about candy corn and let me know what you think!  :-)
*HUGS*
Nancy