Monday, October 18, 2004

An Eventful Day...

What did the 12 year old say when he walked into a bar?

Ouch.

Ba da bump.

Above is the photo of my poor child who, during weight loss class, fought a 45lb bar and lost.  Apparently the kid who was supposed to be spotting JD as he did his butterfly exercises with free weights decided to play around with the heavy weighted bar over JD's head.  The bar slipped out of his hand and smashed my poor son in the face.

I wasn't freaked out because the nurse at the school was willing to let me decide whether or not he should stay in class or go home.  Because it was a heavy weight and hit him in the head I decided to take him to the doctor.  Thanks to Steven getting a great job with incredible benefits we had that option, unlike so many millions of Americans.  I still owe for an emergency appendectomy from 2001 when I was one of them.  In fact, until two weeks ago, I still was.  

Which reminds me.  I hope you all registered to vote and are planning to exercise that right in the next couple of weeks.

Back to my poor kiddo, all this happened after I managed to make it through 10 minutes of Tae Bo and before my Pilates.  Needless to say my plans were somewhat altered.

I wonder how much calories being scared and worried for your kid burns off??

Once we were done at the doctor's, who said that his cheekbone didn't appear to be fractured (thank GOD) and he didn't appear to have any symptoms of a concussion (thank GOD again), we decided we were going to take him out to lunch where ever he wanted to go.  He chose Burger King.

Which leads me to my Shameless Plug O the Day <drumroll please>

Burger King Fire Roasted Shrimp Caesar Salad ROCKS.

I went in thinking I was going to get a chicken whopper no mayo - but that would have come out to be over 400 calories.  Even a regular whopper no mayo would have come in at over 500 calories.

Instead I stuffed myself silly with a salad and a side of chili (which is better than Wendy's chili IMO) for less than that one sandwhich would have cost me. 

Run, don't walk, to your nearest BK.  Num-meee.

Oh, and a really cool thing happened at the doctor's office.  They let me use their medical scale and I weighed in at 282.  Yes, ma'am.  This girl has lost 2lbs in the last two days.  And that's from upping my calories - go figure.

Which brings me to a new idea I had.  As I scour the internet on advice on weight loss, I come across a lot of articles with tons of tips and I thought I'd start sharing one in the

DA DA DA DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Tip O' Da Day.  Today's Tip:  EAT BREAKFAST.  This was one of the harder things for me to establish because I never really got hungry till later in the day.  But of course by the time I got around to eating I scarfed, which of course is a very bad thing.  But the reason breakfast is so important is that it jump starts your metabolism.  So eat breakfast!!   There's a school of thought that if you eat proteins in the morning (meat or eggs) it will keep you more sated than high carbohydrate breakfast choices - and by high carbohydrate I mean bad carbohydrate, i.e. sugary crap.  Danishes, doughnuts and high sugar cereal will cause your blood sugar to spike and drop, making you likely to binge later on.   

Calories: 1988
Fat: 25%
Sat. Fat: 9%
Water: 48oz
Exercise: 10 mins Tae Bo

DAILY AFFIRMATION: There's nothing that lies before me that I cannot handle - for I am strong, smart and capable.

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww......Poor guy!  I hope he isn't in too much pain in the morning!  That seems to be when pain always sets in.....the next morning!

Tracy

Anonymous said...

That is one awful looking bruise! Poor guy...hope he's not in too much pain

http://journals.aol.com/derasta/ADayInTheLife

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful he is ok!  He will be a star at school today.  He will have the coolest bruise there!  Boys think that stuff is cool and the girls will want to mother him.  He will have a good day!  :)
Love,
"Grandma"

Anonymous said...

G-d spared that little cutie!  Let me give him a big kiss and hug!