Friday, July 23, 2004

What an Interesting Day...

Today drew into sharp focus the finer processes of aging.  To sum it up - my back went out.

I was in the kitchen, stooping to clean, and when I stood up all of a sudden a searing pain shot from my hip up to the middle of my back and down my left leg.  I couldn't straighten up for the life of me.  I made my way, hunched over, to the bedroom to cry like a baby and tried to stay completely still.  When I got up to get one of my kids to bring me my emergency stash of heavy pain killers, I literally couldn't walk.  The process of moving the hips was excruciating and I couldn't make it more than five steps. 

Thanks to the pain killer I was able to not suffer too badly and even sleep - but I woke up with tingling and burning on the left side of my hip and down my left leg.  My back is still twinging so I'm not moving about too much.

And coughing?  Fuhgettaboutit.  It used to hurt me in my chest and the upper part of my back.  Earlier today it was sending sharp pain up and down my leg from my hip.

What's the deal, man?  This month has been one bizarre circus of ailments and all I want to do is get well.

Since Steven got a new job with full benefits that start in October, you can guess we're all going to need our medical treatment between now and then. 

Murphy's law in action.

I'm going to take a pill and go back to bed. 

I get the feeling that is where I should have stayed since July 1st.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gin,  don't forget--all of this weight loss is definitely affecting your posture; look at your side-view pictures!!  Your bones were beginning to wear-in based on your old weight.  And...laying around being sick is not helping any either!   From someone who has suffered from a broken back--hope you feel much better!  If you have the benefit--look into chiropractic for yourself in October--usually a small co-pay gets you x number of treatments allowable in a year.  It starts usually in the calendar year--so check your benefits and take advantage of them before December 31st!  --Then wait again until another large weight loss prompts it....that is if you are trying to save money, and use the benefits again for 2005...  otherwise just keep going; I find spurts of going helps!  It is analogous to a car's alignment:  the car's tires are periodically aligned to prevent uneven wear; our bones need alignment.  It prompts health and the doctor relegates certain ailments to misaligned bones which control certain symptoms/organs.  Who knows, maybe the lungs are affected by a bone of yours--he/she will have a chart that identifies each bone with various organs, etc.  I do agree with Burge, you have probably been experiencing at least in part a de-tox reaction (as well as a communally- contracted cold!).

Anonymous said...

Heeeeey Lady!  :o)

Congrats on that magnificent loss. Girrrrrrrrrl!!!  You are looking soooo good. Your face is getting so thin and the rest of you is disappearing right before my eyes. I am so proud of you, Ginger. I am sooooo proud. You're inspiring me more than ever. Thank you!

As for the back thing, I'm not so sure that's an age related ailment. Believe it or not, that VERY SAME thing happened to me when I was only 13 years old. The only difference is that I had bent down to plug in the vacuum cleaner and couldn't get up. My mom had to leave work early to take me to the doctor.

Hope you start feeling better real soon. Be back soon.

**DivaHugz** to one of my favourite girls!  :o)

Lynne