Saturday, July 31, 2004

Saturday Weigh In

The scale didn't show any additional loss, but it doesn't show any gain either so we're holding steady at 279.  I did, however, lose 2 inches this week, thanks to getting my tushy back out on the walking path. 

I loaded up on canned soups over the week to give me no fuss no muss meals, and even though I didn't go over my calorie requirements I did end up putting white potatoes and white rice back into the diet, which might attribute to the weight loss stagnation.  Sugar, however, is still out - despite my low blood sugar attacks all week.

From nausea to emotional outbursts and turbo charged PMS, my body has now recognized it is going without sugar and letting me know it isn't too happy about it.  When we went to the mall for weigh in I resisted mighty temptation in the form of lemonade and the cookie store.  I broke out into uncontrollable sweating and we ended up stopping by the Chocolate Box because they said they had sugar free fudge and I could stand the temptation no longer.  Ended up getting a bottle of grape juice and a sugar free chocolate bar that was either really really good or my body has now adapted to being sugar free it doesn't notice the artificial stuff anymore.

The emotional aspect of it is the worst.  I had such a meltdown yesterday.  They aren't frequent, thank God, but I do have my mental moments.  According to the books I have on hypoglycemia, it's related to the low blood sugar - and I haven't decided if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  It's good to know what causes it, but to know that it's probably going to be a life long affliction isn't so comforting.

I mean, I really feel crazy when I have these episodes.  I know I'm a pretty sane person and I am fairly level headed, but those particular episodes have me questioning everything.  And I hate it.

But like I said, fortunately these episodes aren't a frequent occurance.  Maybe once or twice a year.  Hopefully getting the diet under control will help a great deal.  I think my body is just in shock that things have changed so drastically. 

I had a total comfort food moment the other day.  I had some chicken I needed to cook and so I finally relented and made chicken and dumplins even though it falls under the "white" catagory.  Anyway one bite was all it took, this favorite dish from when I was a kid really hit an emotional spot.  Probably because I've had so much trouble with my health lately, and it really did comfort me.

Old habits die hard.

In two weeks we'll find out if these old habits really are dead or will rear their ugly head in the city of Excess.  I went to VegasResource.com and got tons of useful coupons to keep expenses way down, and let's just say there are a bunch of buffets in my future.  Will I be able to withstand the temptation?  Will I be able to keep that internal gauge turned on? 

Will I be able to resist the free alcohol?

Will I walk everywhere and dare to darken the hotel's gym?

Will I be able to resist spending and gambling to make up for the sobriety and dieting?

We'll know in 15 days...

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well at least you are going!  Plan your substitutes well.

Anonymous said...

wow, your brave.  i could never cut out all my sugar.  it tastes too good, lol.  but good luck to you anyway.  if you're ever bored, you can visit my journal at: