Tuesday, January 11, 2005

On a Mission Now

I told you all that I belong to several weight loss groups over on Myspace, right?  Well it's fraught with bad advise, young girls who really don't need to diet going on or advocating crash diets.  I wasn't saying anything really, but I decided that I'm not doing anyone any favors by holding my tongue.  Maybe they'll listen to me, maybe they won't - but at least the seed is planted, right?

Anyway there's this one girl who apparently has some big shindig in two weeks she absolutely MUST lose weight for.  It's kinda laughable to me in a way because there's no way you can lose a significant amount of weight in such a short amount of time.  The MOST you could probably do (and not all that healthily besides) is under 10lbs.  To base a good time on ten measly pounds seems kinda silly.

But I also have about 70lbs under my belt - or actually, out from under my belt - so I'm looking at things a little differently.

  

That and I'm not losing weight for cosmetic or vain purposes.  I want to be healthy, and if losing it slow means healthy I'm prepared to wait it out.  It takes two to three years they say to meet weight loss goals, and I figure I'm pretty much on course. 

So these other gals tell this girl to dump all dairy products (bad idea) or to only have one carb a day (another bad idea) - so I decided to jump in with my Anti-Fad Diet Crusade.

I suggested that she do Pilates every day for the next two weeks.  When I started Pilates my sister said it looked like the weight melted off.  I know it works.  And look at Oprah, she came back from her summer vacation last year a lean, mean Talk Show hosting machine from doing Pilates daily.

Of course she's going to want to hear these magic diet combinations first, that's when I decided I'm going to put my money where my mouth is.

I'm going to do Pilates every day for the next two weeks to see A.) how much weight I lose and B.) how many inches I lose.  I'm about three inches shy of size 22... we'll see if I can tip over into the smaller size in two weeks.

  

Steven has a callback with the district manager of Lane Bryant.  He totally impressed the manager months ago, so when he found out they needed an assistant manager he was quick to apply.  This is a good paying job with benefits.

Not to mention the employee discount.  !!

Cross your fingers and say a prayer!

  

As for my day I did my Pilates, ten mins on the stationary bike and walked 1.5 miles.  I think I did pretty good.  I ate 2000 calories today, but I think I still managed to shave 500 calories off the 2200 calories I normally burn.

All in all a good day.

To end it with a project where I try to prove I'm right?  Icing on the cake. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gin,
 I'm glad to see you focusing on your weight management again.  We kinda got off onto books and people and other websites rather than focusing on your goals.
I know you can do it and gaining the second wind is very hard but I believe that if anyone can do it, it will be you.
 It's very encouraging to start from where you are rather than the original start weight.  You have come a long way baby but a new goal sounds more fun!
 I am really curious to see how the Pilates works for you.  Keep up the good work, I know you can do it!
Love you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ginger!
Doesn't almost make you sick to hear of young girls doing all they can to be skeletons? You gave her good advise though! BTW, Which pilates tape do you use and how long does it last? I was thinking of getting one, but would rather buy one that I know is good, and you seem to like yours a lot! :)
Lindsay

Anonymous said...

Awesome idea!  Also, informing people is a good thing--even if only one person listens to what you say, you are helping them avoid a lifetime of dangerous, unhealthy dieting!

I just bought the Pilates Weight Loss Workout for Dummies two days ago (I know it sounds stupid, but I watched it, and based on what I already know about Pilates, it seems very sound, and it is really easy to follow).  I'd like to join in your experiment--I too will stick with the Pilates for 2 weeks and provide my new measurements!  (I don't have a scale, or I would list my weight too.)

Keep on rockin' in the free world!  You're doing a great job!
Katie  

Anonymous said...

Now THAT sounds like the Ginger I know!  You had a few down days there, but it sounds like you're back on track again.  Keep at it girl...you can do it!!! *HUGS* ~ Nancy :-)

Anonymous said...

Tonight on the AOL msg boards was someone actually complaining that she weighed 120lbs. Couldn't believe it.  You are right about all the bad advice about dieting and crash diets.  My personal philosophy is the word "diet" is just the word DIE with a "t". Movement is important.  I liked reading the entry you made after this one too. I may have to give Pilates a try.
http://journals.aol.com/loveladylisa1/TheNakedTruthADietersNightmare/
Lisa

Anonymous said...

MANAGEMENT @ LANE BRYANT?  I'M MANAGEMENT AT LANE BRYANT.  AND YOUR SPOUSE CAN USE THE 40% DISCOUNT AND THE ADDITIONAL 15% ONCE A MONTH...  ANYWAY, CONGRATS ON YR PROGRESS AND KEEP ON KEEPIN' ON YOU ARE A TRUE MOTIVATOR!!  ~T