Friday, January 7, 2005

As easy as riding a bike...

I did it.  I wasn't gunna, but I did it anyway.  I didn't feel like it, but I didn't let that stop me.  When that infinitesimal window of opportunity presented itself to me in the way of, "do it later when you feel better," I did consider it.  But when it was all said and done, I threw all the stuff that was collecting dust on the exercise bike onto the sofa, sat my fanny down and rode 30 mins vigorously.  I was going to stop at ten.  Then when I got to ten I thought, well, let's ride to 15.  After that, I rode to 20.  By then I decided I could do the whole way.

Sure I wasn't conditioned for it anymore.  No one would have beat me up for stopping after ten or fifteen minutes, or even twenty.  But I felt good enough to keep going, and I decided it was high time I pushed *myself* instead of needing someone else to do it for me.

 

Steven stayed up all night reading My Immortal, so there was no gym today.  By the time he woke up, I'd lost my initiative to go.  I was fighting low blood sugar and all that, my body is in total revolt for all the changes it's undergoing.  So I was jittery and nauseated and weak and shaky - so the last thing I wanted to do was go to the gym.

What I did want, was to get food out.  I have felt so drained and so exhausted that the last thing I want to do is anything for anyone else.  I want to be pampered.  Okay, wrong word.  Spoiled.  I wanted to be spoiled.  When we realized we didn't have the $$ for the Chinese food that I wanted, I got really mad.  I was totally p*ssed off.  I went through a deprivation issue you would not believe.

I'm sure it's related to Brandon and the time of year that it is, but it hit me hard.  I recognized it and I was going to come here and beg for help to get me through the crisis.

Instead I talked to Steven.

 

In that talk, I broke down completely.  I realized that I was terrified of never getting back the enthusiasm to finish this journey.  My inches have gone up, my pounds are fluxuating and I'm basically letting it all happen.  I've ceased being proactive.  I'm reactive.  And I'm reacting badly.

I begged him to give me the kick in the pants I needed, that I wanted a partner now.  I didn't want to go back to the way I used to be.  And here I was, doing everything like I used to do it when I weighed 350lbs.  I was asking him to go get food so I didn't have to cook, I was mad at everyone else for a dirty house I have no energy to clean.  That I'm getting anything at all done with the writing is a miracle.

 

So I came back to the computer after I started dinner.  I saw the bike sitting there next to the computer desk.  There's no reason for me to blow off exercise just because I can't get to the gym.  That's an excuse.  I exercised plenty without the benefit of a gym membership for a year.  It's not Steven or my schedule or my health that's stopping me.

It's me.

And I seriously need to get over myself.  No more excuses. 

Cuz I gotta tell ya, folks.  I'm petrified of staying at this weight.  Or worse.  Gaining it all back.

I need to examine why I'm having such a problem here.  We'll be doing that over the upcoming weeks as I am faced with opportunities to cop out.  I'll either exercise or I'll come here and deal with why I won't exercise.  But one way or another, I'm going to get over this.

Because y'all...this is no way to live.

 

And it's not the way I'm supposed to live.  I'm stronger than this.  I can do anything - my capabilities are endless.  I've proven that if nothing else over the past year. 

I warn you that some of these posts may not be pretty.  I'm not going to be Super Weight Loss girl.  There will be serious imperfections highlighted.  I hate it, but it's part of the process.  Denying it exists isn't getting me anywhere. 

This journal was created for total honesty.  And this is my totally honest problem to work through now. 

Self sabotage.

 

For that purpose the Tips portion of the journal will be suspended while we work through this other stuff.  I'm not exactly sure how I want to set up the entries to include stats and stuff, they may be more than one in a day, depending, and I may need affirmations more than once.

Stay tuned as I work this through.  As always you guys are my lifeline and I appreciate your concern, your prayers and your support more than I can say.

BIG HUGS. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ginger,
Keep working through your problems and you will get through it. You know that we are all here for you, rooting for ya. I definetly know how hard it is to stay motivated because I lost my motivation a few weeks ago. I haven't got it all back yet, but I know I will. You keep at it and take good care of yourself. You deserve nothing but the best in life!

Anonymous said...

Way to go!  Getting on that bike, although sounding easy, is very difficult!  I have a bike sitting in my living room, also collecting dust.  You have inspired me to ride for TEN minutes tomorrow...I ate my way through today...JAE

Anonymous said...

From my point of view, you are handling this all amazingly.  I'm so proud of you-this is a bump in the road and I have full faith in you that you will get past it.  You haven't stopped your journey, this is just part of it :)  I love you, Jeff

Anonymous said...

You are sooo awesome, even if you don't feel like it at the moment.  You are still inspiring me...your strength, your courage, your honesty, your determination.  Whoever said this journey was going to be easy?  You've always known it wasn't going to be easy and you've always hit it head on and pushed your way on through day after day, pound after pound, inch after inch.  You're still doing that.   You're facing the emotional part of the journey with courage and determination, and you're learning to deal with it.  That can be...it IS tougher than the food/exercise part of it all!  It takes tremendous courage and strength to tackle what's at the root of your eating/weight and I am so proud of you for doing it!  You are an amazing woman and I know you can and will do it! *BIG HUGS* ~ Nancy :-)

Anonymous said...

Keep trucking!  I know you can and WILL get through this and come out on the other side grinning!

Tracy
http://journals.aol.com/sasonalmah/ARoseByAnyOtherName/
http://journals.aol.com/sasonalmah/Theresnobusinesslike/

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Ginger :) You are not a failure and you will get through this. If you ever need to talk to someone I am just one IM away :D

Autumn

Anonymous said...

Hi...Look at your picture...that is so much to be thankful to..Put the pity in the drawer and no more pity parties...U have done a miracle so far...and use that for going forward....Mostly..I have 50 lbs...to lose...and this is the first year...that the look..is more important than the food...I am drinking the water...and using stevia...diet rites...and frozen blackberries..for a snack...so good...I am sommersizing...and I wanted to start on Jan..8th...2005...Elvis's birthday...so I have a year..not to worry how much I am losing but what is the total next year..So girl..keep it up!!!! bwwells48@hotmail.com