Thursday, January 20, 2005

Celebrity Fit Club

Okay I got sucked in.  I admit it.  This is what happens when you tune into VH1 for "I Love the 90s Part Deux" and forget to change the channel.

It's The Biggest Loser for famous type folks.  I say famous types because you're not going to find the "hot" celebrities there.  No, all the hot celebrities aren't overweight. 

So we get people like Daniel Baldwin, Ralphie May, The Snapple Lady, Kim Coles, Biz Markie, a judge I'd never heard of before, Mia Tyler (Steven's daughter, Liv's sister) and this other dude I don't recognize. 

Complaint #1:  The Drill Sergeant.  Yes I know he got this name for a reason but he's just unnecessarily mean IMO.  You catch more flies with honey than vinegar, and you don't ride people that hard when they feel like crap to begin with.  It just doesn't work.  What I did like was Mia telling him off, that his issues with her weight were just that - HIS issues.  That she was sexy and beautiful at any size because it's not the weight, it's the attitude.  (Mia just shot up on my hero roster)

Complaint #2:  It's a competition, and while this helps in SOME areas, it really isn't good for a weight loss program.  Because it's more than what the scales say... which brings me to...

Complaint #3:  Apparently on the next show someone gains 12 lbs in two weeks.  The Drill Sergeant says there's "no way" that someone can gain 12 lbs in two weeks.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm yeah there are.

1.  Muscle weighs more than fat and if you're working out like a maniac you can definitely GAIN weight and still lose fat. 

2. If it's a woman, helloooooooooooooooooooo!  Water retention DUH.  I guess that a man wouldn't appreciate that delicate hormonal fluxuation but it is there and it's not indicative of failure.

Combine the two... and it's quite easy to believe someone can gain 12lbs in two weeks. 

But whatever.

As always it's all about the numbers on a scale.  If this journal ever gets widespread recognition it will be my ultimate goal in life to release people from that stupid, asinine, archaic hogwash. 

 

You know what I think?  I think that the true key to ultimate success is finding value in who you are without changing one thing.  Because the day will come when the weight won't fall off, you might even gain, and then you will fall into self destructive behavior.

As long as we think our fat is our failure, we doom ourselves to self hatred that will logically conclude in self destruction.  And how do morbidly obese people self destruct?

Two words.

Cheese Cake.

 

If I can ever accomplish anything in my life it would be to teach women that they have value beyond their size.  This is almost like throwing a lasso around the moon, because for decades society has taught women that they are only as good as they look. 

It's insidious.  Women were trained back in the day to stay pretty for their husbands so they wouldn't stray, and they inevitably trained their daughters to be man pleasers.  Girls watched their mothers fuss and fret over their appearance so that it was ingrained into their subconsciousness.  This gets confirmed by the media.  Look at how things are marketed.  Next time you're in the supermarket check out line look at magazines geared toward women.  It's all about how to look good to get a man. 

Happiness is in a size 0 don't you know.  Or you would know if you looked at clothes on department store mannequins who are so thin they wouldn't even have a menstrual period if they were a real woman.

Pah-lease.

 

No wonder so many young guys are dogs and so many young women are starving themselves into living breathing skeletons.

What are we teaching our children?

I came to the conclusion that the reason I haven't had a daughter yet is because God is just making sure I don't subconsciously mess her up with my own issues on being a woman in today's society. 

It's a learning process for me too.

We have to retrain our way of thinking.  Because this is destroying our kids.

 

Hello PMS rant LOL

Okay on to today's report.  I got 1500 calories in today, with four servings of veggies and three servings of fruit.  This is good.  I'm working up to doing things by food groups rather than calorie count.

I'm weaning myself as it were.

I will say this, I did feel more satisfied today than I did yesterday.  I don't think it's because of the extra calories but because those extra calories were mostly proteins.  That's how I started today, with my "gym day" breakfast of a spinach and cheese omelet, turkey sausage and a Weight Watchers apple muffin.

And my I just say, that for a dietary product that was ONE tasty muffin.  It was so moist, I was shocked. 

 

Now if I can just get past these late hour fast food ads, we'll be fine.

Sigh.

Keeping my eye on the three pound/three inch prize.

That will mean more than a momentary fast food fix.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That will mean more than a momentary fast food fix....  AMEN!!  KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE PRIZE!!  IT WILL BE WELL WORTH IT!! YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL INSIDE OUT AND I ADMIRE YOU.  ~T

Anonymous said...

Jeff left your journal link on my blog and I'm so glad I found you.  What an inspiration!!  I love your journal, and I'll be back.

http://journals.aol.com/kristeenaelise/thedailypurge
=) kris

Anonymous said...

Hey there,

I just wanted to say, I've loved Mia Tyler for a long time--she's incredibly beautiful and never once did I think of her as "fat."  SHe's gorgeous--prettier than Liv in my opinion!

Keep up the good work!
Katie  http://journals.aol.com/libgal81/pants/

ps) I got totally hooked on The Biggest Loser--I am so sad lol.