Thursday, September 30, 2004

Having a Voice

Thanks to AOL Journals for featuring me in their top five weekly pick.  I'm very excited and honored to have so many new visitors and commenters, I will visit your journals and answer your comments very shortly. 

I also will go into further details about the Lindora program as featured in the First Magazine, the October 4th edition.

While I have all of your ears I'd like to bring up a topic I wouldn't normally address.  It was only after an Oprah episode yesterday where I realized there is a huge crisis in our culture of young Americans who opt not to exercise their right to vote.   One lady even went as far to say that if she lost her right to vote it wouldn't make a difference to her.  I was absolutely dumbfounded.

There are many reasons not to vote.  The candidates don't fit the job they are "applying" for.  Government doesn't address the needs that are important to you.  Many people vote, your vote won't make any difference.  If you register to vote you will be selected for jury duty.  "I'm not into politics, it's boring and no one ever tells the truth anyway - just make a lot of empty promises."

If the candidates don't flip your switch either way, not voting is still casting a vote.  You have to decide who is the best man for the job, and the more people who vote will demand a certain level of integrity from the candidates.  It will also strengthen your position.  If it's important to you and you hold the power to put these men and women on the job, then it will become important to them.  The reason politicians don't address the concerns of younger Americans is because younger Americans do not vote. 

Many people do vote, this is true.  But when you consider the last election was decided by a mere 500+ votes, it shows every single vote does make a difference. 

Politics is as interesting as it is applicable to our everyday lives.  Everything we do is somehow connected to the government and fundamentally affected by the power of the vote.  From health care to taxes, to education to foreign policy - everything can directly affect you - and I find that to interest me greatly.

As for jury duty, I've been a registered voter since 1990 and I've only been called for jury duty once - which I got out of because I couldn't get off work. 

The most important reason to vote is because you can.  You have that right as an American.  It's a right people have died to protect, and it's a privilege to have this right.  All over the world people do not have a voice, women especially, and to not vote when you have the right to is, to me, unthinkable.

I am not pushing any particular candidate, but I urge you, if you haven't registered to vote, if you haven't ever voted before, this year more than any year before please, please exercise your right.  Raise your voice and be heard.  You do have the power to make a difference. 

Declare Yourself - Register to Vote

Sept. 29

Calories: 2011
Fat:  32%
Sat. Fat: 5%
Water: 48oz
Exercise: On hold

DAILY AFFIRMATION - I have a voice and it deserves to be heard.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ginger I have been following you since you started your very first journal long long time ago you look great sister keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I am definitely a voter!  I don't live in a democracy to keep my mouth shut!  LOL

Tracy

Anonymous said...

Hi Ginger!  First let me compliment you on your weight loss.  Losing weight is no easy task (I should know since I am also overweight and a constantly failing dieter), but I am so happy for you.  Keep up the awesome success.  I hope you reach your goal one day at a time!  

Thank you for the wake up call about voting.  I have been one of those people who had one excuse after another not to vote.  My biggest fear was about jury duty so I laughed when you mentioned it.  I thought, "thats me...that's my reason for not voting".  This year I really considered voting for the very first time, but your journal entry really pushed me to register.  I am calling up tomorrow as to how to go about it.  As I am getting older and understanding more I realized that this is such a crucial time for our country.  I lost a few people I knew in the World Trade Center attack so life as I knew it has changed over the passed two years.  Voting now can make all the difference for the future of our country and the people who live here.  Thanks again for the wake up call.

I am very new to this journal stuff and I am not quite sure how it works, but I am trying.  Feel free to visit my jounal anytime.  The name of it is "Oh My Soul".  Have a great day!

Ann Marie  

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being selected!  I couldn't agree with you more about voting. I vote for everything--even the school board--and I homeschool!  My sixteen year old daughter is chafing at the bit because she can't vote for Kerry. I am gald she want to have a voice in our government so badly.Our family's online homeschooling blog is Hestia Homeschool for Young Wild Women http://journals.aol.com/hestiahomeschool/HomeschoolingJournal/. We love to have visitors!

Anonymous said...

ginger, i love the journal. Weight fighting can be the hardest thing in the world. i was a size five until i had kids, and have fought with it ever since. i linked your journal to mine, and will be visiting frequently. have a good weekend.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being a pick of the week! Best weightloss advice I have found is being able to eat only at the table. That way you are focusing on what you are eating and are less likely to snack if you have to leave everyone to go sit by yourself at the table.
Adam
Journals.aol.com/pawsadam/chester

Anonymous said...

Congrats to both you and aol for featuring another WL journal.  I would like to see a WL journal featured everytime.  Not sure how to sign my self but I am from Gladys'Diet Dilemma.

Anonymous said...

Ginger, Congratulations!  I'm so proud of you!  For multiple reasons.  MOM 2 XXOOO

Anonymous said...

Congradulations !!!!!!! You go girl!!!!!!!!! I myself am on the weight loss journey, I take each day one at a time. It's so hard some days but I to am going to let THE SKINNY WOMAN INSIDE OF ME OUT ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ginger, congrats on being one of the editor's top picks!  I'm glad you took this entry to talk about voting because it IS very important.  Though some people cannot see the immediate effects of their voting habits, the accumulative effect is dramatic.  Congrats again!
journals.aol.com/republicanjen/RepublicanJen (however, a certain candidate is pushed on my website lol)