Wednesday, September 8, 2004

Another Four Letter Word... Busy

There have been times in my life when I filled it completely with things to avoid other things.  I've been saying I've been "too busy" for this or that for as long as I can remember. 

I'd work those twelve hour days.  I'd get two jobs at the same time.  Mind you I was never working toward anything, just avoiding everything.

In these last few weeks I've been "too busy" again.  Only this time I am working toward something.  I've had to prioritize my life around my long-term goals.  For instance, I have to carve out a chunk of time every day for my walk so I can meet my weight loss goals.  I have to carve out time while everyone is at work/school to write so I can meet my career goals.  I also have to stuff actual "real" work in there so I can meet financial obligations.

The people who get lost in the shuffle - my kids.  My husband.  My family.  My journal.

Yesterday I fell off the wagon and didn't walk my new, longer route like Monday.  Monday Steven went with me because it was Labor Day and he was off.  He suffered the whole day in his legs, apparently his not going with me in the mornings has gotten him out of condition.  My legs didn't hurt going the longer route, strangely enough my glutes did.  I think I literally walked my butt off.

And if that weren't enough I fell back on my old standby - fast food.  Boy, there's two four letter words in one shot.  I'm not going over the higher calorie limit I've given myself, but I know I could be making MUCH better food choices if I just carved out the time to prepare dinner. 

I can see how living life can actually get in the way of the weight loss journey for so many.  Wasn't John Lennon who said that life is what happens to you when you're busy making plans?  Each day I'm not at goal I'm smack dab in the middle of a plan to get me there.

It's just going to take a little bit more diligence on my part.  I've come so far the last thing I want to do is lose ground.  Last week I spaced Pilates and that's not helping me lose those inches.  So I'm recommitting myself.  To the exercise (I walked 4 miles today), to the food (there's a big salad in my future), to the work (gonna get real work and writing done today before the kids come home), to the family (gonna spend time with my kids today when they come home and get OFF the frickin computer and be a Mom) and most importantly, to the journal.  This is my anchor and I need to get out of this lazy mode and get my tired, busy rump in gear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With what you are doing with fast food you could easily bulk-up--gaining both muscle and weight!  You would look like a female Incredible Hulk.  If that is what you want...!!! LOL