Monday, September 6, 2004

Weigh Ins and Photo Updates

I've vowed to stop using the home scale to weigh in.  It had me weighing in up to 288lbs and I was not looking forward to going to GNC.  However, the GNC scaled showed a pound loss for the week, so now I'm at 278.  This is good news.

I've maintained the 2000 calorie diet for the last few days but I feel like I'm undoing all the good I've done.  This week starts my "salad" week, so this should help. 

Today we walked a mile more, and Steven went with because he was off work.  With him and the kids being home I didn't even bother with the Pilates, I'll do that on Wednesday and Friday though.

Still working hard on my family comedy Comic Squad.  Working with another writer has been an interesting experience.  It's certainly kept a fire under my tail.  I've been working on something writing related pretty much non stop since we agreed to work together.  Between that and the TV script which has a 9/18 deadline, and the two scripts the lady from Vegas requested (The Devil's Due and My Immortal respectively), I've been a busy bee.

And I love it.  I absolutely do.  I finally feel like I'm getting everything together.  By 2pm today I had done about two hours of "real" work, gone for a 4 mile walk, did two loads of laundry, reworked 40 pages of Comic Squad, and cut all my veggies up for the rest of the week.  If I keep up this pace I will have no choice but to lose weight AND sell something besides.

And to top it all off I'm being featured on AOL Diet & Fitness, which is way cool.  It'll mark the third time this journal is featured, and I'm pretty excited about that.  When I started this journey in September 2003 I couldn't see past the end of the day, much less all the months I've put under my belt here on this journal.  And it hasn't always been ideal - I've hit my share of plateaus.  Not every day has been perfect, in fact most haven't been.  But here on this journey I remain, and I'm very proud of that.  It's the longest I've ever managed to stay on any weight loss regimen, most times I petered out after a few months.  Now I can honestly say I've developed a healthier style of eating.

After church yesterday Mom treated us to Long John Silvers.  I got a nutritional information packet and managed to plan my meal to minimize the damage but still have the rare (very rare) indulgence of fried food.  Ikept expecting for my gall bladder to rebel but fortunately everything remained calm all night.  That doesn't mean I'm going to go back to LJS for more fried food, in fact I already have an eating plan if I do go back that will help keep me on a healthy track.

That, and finding a sugar free recipe for key lime pie, is all indicative of my goal to eat more consciously and healthily - something that isn't a choice anymore.  They say if you do anything for more than a month it becomes a habit.  After nearly a year, I can safely say this is not even a habit anymore, it's a way of life.

But most importantly, I no longer beat myself up for the mistakes.  I don't have to go spiraling into a pit of guilt that causes me to not only fall off the wagon but tip the darn thing over and leave it behind.  Instead I pick myself up and move on, knowing that on mess up doesn't mean ultimate failure.  What is important is getting through the day, making the best choices I can.

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just can't tell you, Gin, how much you help me.  And I thank you for that, too.  You are such a wonderful role model.  And although I am getting a slow start...in my journaling AND my eating plan....I still feel changed...and it has a lot to do because of the encouragement that I have felt from you.  Thank you for adding my journals to your links.  That is very appreciated.  I haven't had much to say lately, but I know that it feels good to have started the journals, at least.  That was the hard part.  I am NOT a writer....so this is all new to me...but I get a lot of satisfaction from it...so I hope it because more natural to me in the future.  

I wish you all the blessings you could ever hope for....YOU DESERVE IT!!!  

Love, Gretchen (one of your biggest fans!)  :)

Anonymous said...

Thats really amazing how good you look.  I was looking for sites for some inspiration and I found yours.  It really helped me alot and lets me know there is some hope.   Do you have any websites that you get support from?  I really need someone to talk to and keep me on track. Keep up the good work!!!!  You can e-mail me at StarangeL2528@aol.com

Anonymous said...

I weighed 267 lbs.  I went to the doctor and told him I wanted to diet and exercise but I was just too tired and overweight to start exersizing. He put me on a 30 day supply of phentermine and gave me a diet plan. Basically, the diabetic diet even though I am not diabetic.  Also include  64 oz of water every day, no matter what and add another 8 oz glass of water for every extra 25 lbs I wanted to lose.  Guess what? The first week, I dropped 10 lbs, mostly water weight, by the time I had finished the phentermine and followed the diet plan and drank my water, I had lost 30 lbs.  After losing the 30 lbs and getting used to the diabetic diet and drinking the water, I learned to continue it even without the phentermine. I have managed to keep it off and really started working out in April and lost 40 more lbs.
The phentermine worked great for me and gave me the boost I needed.  You have to be in otherwise great health, besides being overweight to get on phentermine.  Sometimes, it just takes something like that to get you going.  Once I lost the 30 lbs, i knew I never wanted to gain it back.  
Good luck to you and I know you can do it.
Charlotte
peekaboomans journey (look up if you want to see my journal)

Anonymous said...

In my last comment...I meant I hope it BECOMES more natural to me to write in my journal.  See??  WRITE???  I can't even TYPE!!! lol...

Love, Gretchen