Tuesday, March 1, 2005

The importance of scheduling

I'm on day three of my antibiotics.  I can't believe what a difference it's made in how I feel... almost right away.  I know, I know... I should have gone sooner.

I'm trying to "gear up" to prepare for when I'm officially well enough to get back on program.  That means changing the way I sleep and making sure I'm scheduling my time as efficiently as possible.  With Steven's new job, this means a day working schedule for me as well.  

What this also means is that I can do all the work stuff I need to do before the kids get home.  It's becoming glaringly apparent that the kids need more interaction with me, and the whole point of working from home is that I can be here for them.  So that means getting the stuff I need to get done, done before they even get home. 

I just finished my work for today just in the nick of time. 

The last couple of days I've spent trying to get caught up on my work so that I can schedule that better too.  I'm all about scheduling right now.  It gives me the illusion of control, which is always comforting to me. 

The good news is that I'm back on track so I can take it a little easier the next few days, and that'll help facilitate my healing from this infection.  These last two days were sort of sacrificial in a way; forging ahead to get back on track so that I won't have to keep playing catch up.

That way, once I do get better, I'll have the ability to schedule the most important thing of all - exercise.

Steven's new job has him working 8-6 Mon - Thurs and Saturday, and 8-12 on Fridays.  We were thinking about doing the gym first thing in the morning, but I really don't think that's going to work.  Neither Steven nor I are morning people; it's enough of a struggle to get Steven and the kids up and off to work/school in the morning.  Adding an hour for the gym would just complicate things.

So this may mean that I'll have to find a new workout buddy.  My sister is the first obvious choice, but she's looking to relocate to Dallas in the next few months.  But I figure the kids can help keep me motivated.  That'll be quality time we could spend together. 

As you can see, even though I can't physically do anything about being on program, I'm mentally there still.  I think this is worthy of a big Atta Girl.  Especially for me, because I'm the world's worst at avoidance.  For me to be fully concentrating on these things even if I can't do them yet shows my dedication has not wavered.

I figure I'll ride out the week on the antibiotics, and then I should be fine.  My ears are still congested, and it's been a real struggle just to get the work done and the housework/chores done in the last couple of days.  I've been so tired even taking vitamins.  My body is working hard to get well. 

I still can't even believe that I got so sick.  I have never been that sick.  That was the worst.  I'm so glad now I went to the doctor and got the meds I needed to get better. 

That's another great thing about Steven's new job:  medical benefits.  They start in June.  That way we can afford not only to get sick, but to get better.

I'm really excited for Steven in his new job.  He has entered the exciting world of automotive sales.  He lucked out and got in with a really decent dealership here in town that really offers a great employment package.  They offer base pay that is not dependent on commission, plus benefits.  They also have contests for free trips as incentives for the sales staff.  Steven is really in his element.  He loves to interact with the public and he thrives in a sales atmosphere. 

In fact, he's already made two sales.  They were my sister and my nephew, but the commission counts.  ;)

I just really feel this is something he can do well at, which could mean financial freedom for us for once. 

That will be nice.

So keep him in your thoughts and prayers that he really finds his niche here. 

I think he deserves an Atta Boy.  :)

No comments: