Monday, March 14, 2005

Notes from a slacker

I can't believe I haven't updated since Wednesday.  My apologies. 

A LOT has happened.

I get an IM from my writer friend on Thursday and he says, "Good news and bad news."

Turns out the producer liked my story, loved my dialogue but thought that my script had several problems.  That he was on the edge of sending it to his people but if I could change these things that would be better.

Enter rewrite #3. 

I got to page 70 of that rewrite (most scripts are 100-120 pages) when my writer friend writes me AGAIN and says: "Bad news."

The producer pitched the idea to his people, the ones who have the million dollars to put up for a movie, and they said go rent Vlad the Impaler - they already did a gothic vampire love story.

Which means they weren't going to pay $$ to do another one.

So the writer friend and the producer get me on a conference call.  The producer wants me to write a story with the same character and her same issues, but something more along the lines of Se7en.  Can I do it?

I brainstorm some ideas and send a synopsis to this producer and he says it sounded good.  I offered to send him my first act and he said that would be best, no sense in a lot of extra work.

That was Friday.  By Saturday afternoon I had 28 pages.  After working on them all weekend I sent them to the producer late last night.

Today I get an email that says, "Good work.  I like your writing".  He gives me some suggestions on using the scenic value of Bucharest where this story takes place. 

So while this isn't a sale until his people greenlight it, I'm still definitely in the running.

 

That's why I've been MIA.  I've written and rewritten 282 pages all the while working and doing the college thang. 

I have good days and bad days food wise.  Sitting at the computer means I'm not cooking, so we've eaten out quite a bit.  On Friday  I weighed in at the same 290.5 I did last week but I did manage to walk twice at the park and once at the mall in the midst of it all.

This week won't be much different.  They need this script right away if I have a chance to get it made, so I'm going to be writing a BUNCH to get him the script within the week.  If you don't see me, that's why.

I'm hanging in there tho and will keep you posted.  :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How exciting for you that someone is interested in your writing!  That is great!  I hope they eventually buy something from you!  Lots of hard work...!  JAE