Friday, February 25, 2005

Putting my money where my mouth is

Since I was feeling moderately well this morning I decided to go ahead and get started on this Boot Camp thing by tracking down info on Bob Greene.  He's Oprah's personal trainer and the one that she created her Boot Camp around.  His book will be the "bible" for the next 12 weeks so I wanted to see what everything was all about.

Interestingly enough he's hooked up with ediets.com, and you can sign up for his program for a weekly fee.  I thought, I'm worth a $20 a month investment, and went ahead and signed up.

What I found, his program is way more lenient than Oprah's.  In fact, he has me on a 3 day workout schedule with no diet needed until week 6. 

I'm liking the sound of that!

This is what I need, the focus on being fit rather than just losing the weight.  He even stated that I may not lose weight initially because of the way the body changes when you add exercise. 

I feel really positive about this, I have to say.  In fact, when I started this I decided to lower my goal weight to 250.  Not 150; 250.  When I hit 250, then I'll give myself a goal of 200.  Smaller, more manageable goals is the order of the day. 

Just like working out 3 times a week instead of 8.  Maybe by making gradual changes I'll see more long term success than going gung ho and burning out within a week.

So here's the contract I'm signing with myself.  I'm sharing it with all of y'all because I share everything in my journey with all of y'all.  This contract is about accountability, as is this journal. 

This is my promise to myself:

I hereby commit to 12 weeks of Basic Training. This includes learning to perform a variety of exercises and performing these exercises daily, completing Written Exercises and Required Reading and demonstrating self-control when it comes to my eating. It also means limiting my consumption of alcoholic beverages and terminating my consumption of food at least two hours prior to bedtime. I will endeavor to be conscious of when and why I eat, and I will, to the best of my ability, simply eat to satisfy my nutritional needs as opposed to my emotional needs. I will do my best to make healthful food choices, too.

By signing below, I am further committing to challenging my abilities to elevate myself both physically and emotionally.

I realize that this contract is solely with myself and carries no rewards, penalties or punishments other than those associated with the reflection of the strength of my character.


25th Day of February 2005

Ginger Voight

Even though I'm not required to change the way I eat just yet, I'm going to make a more concentrated effort to ditch the extra sugar in my diet, replacing it with fresh fruit.

This morning I had a grapefruit with my breakfast.  This is a big deal, I'm not a fan of grapefruit.  Fortunately my taste buds still have the flu so it tasted okay.  That and I used Splenda to ease off of the bitter quotient.  It was actually pleasant.  Progress!

I'm supposed to exercise today.  Bob has given me a 60 minute exercise requirement this week.  So I figure I can work that out, no problem.  I'll put on some music and get on the bike and ride. 

I'm excited that I can start my program finally. 

Hear that gunshot?  I'm over the line and well on my way!!

Here is the ticker I created for my newest goal of 250lbs.  I'm using my home scale, which is slightly more than the GNC scale I was using.  But I figure, a pound is a pound no matter where I start, so we'll use it for the time being:

 

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I bought Bob Greene's book "Total Body Makeover" and he is definately more lenient than Oprah - but he knows how to get the job done. He tends to put a lot of focus on the psychology of being overweight and losing weight and I think that is wonderful. If we don't come to grips with it all we can lose it and just keep gaining it back!
Here's to you - You CAN do it!
http://journals.aol.com/patchmom/WeightLossJournal/
Steph

Anonymous said...

I agree with Steph who made the comment below this one. Bob Greene's book is awesome. I would definately buy it if you haven't already because he has writing journal exercises in there that go right along with what you have been writing about recently as far as mind over body and so on! It's a great book. I started that a while ago and just now want to incorporate more of Oprah's bootcamp into my whole program. It DOES work because I HAVE lost inches...even if the scale is only showing small results. Bob even said NOT to weigh the first month because your body is adjusting....so Maybe that's what's going on with me. LOL. Either that or those darn Easter Marshmellow EVIL PEEPS! ROFL.
Good luck and never Surrender!
Jen

Anonymous said...

I am glad to see that you're going a little easier on yourself.  I checked Oprah.com when you first talked about the Boot Camp (Oprah's show comes on before I get home from work, so I don't watch it) and I was very worried that you would get discouraged if you did that.  The diet you're supposed to be on for the first 4 weeks sounded a lot like the South Beach Diet's Phase 1, but on SB you only have to do that part for 2 weeks.  That's bad enough; I am not a fan of any program that says you CAN'T have this or that.  Of COURSE that is going to make you want those things more!  And concentrating on your weight loss in smaller steps is a good idea, too, when you have a lot of weight to lose.  I would also suggest having a food journal and writing down everything you eat or drink, at least in the beginning.  And that means EVERYTHING--don't neglect to write it, even if it's just a BLT (bite, lick, or taste).  Good luck!  Debby