Tuesday, December 7, 2004

The Big Picture

Okay so I weighed in.  Okay so there was a gain.  But Abel, God bless 'im, was a big cheerleader and showed me that in the grand scheme of things I'm doing great.

Here's the rundown for the 11/4 weigh in:

Weight: 278
BMI: 43.6
BMR: 8468kj
Impedance: 455
Fat %: 52.9%
Fat Mass: 147.4lb
Fat Free Mass: 131.2lb
Water Weight: 96.0lb

Now here's the rundown of tonight's weigh in:

Weight: 284lb
BMI: 44.5
BMR: 8567kj
Impedance: 384
Fat %: 50.6% - a 2.3% loss
Fat Mass: 143.6lb - a 3.8lb loss in fat
Fat Free Mass: 140.4lb - a 9.2lb gain in muscle
Water Weight: 102.8lb

So according to this, I've lost nearly 4lbs of fat this last month, averaging about 1lb a week which he says is great.  The weight gain comes from the muscle gain, which is 9lbs.  So I'm losing fat and gaining muscle, my fat percentage has gone down and my hydration has gone up.  What impedance is I have no idea, but it went down too.

Yeah I'm back up to 284 BUT I have gained muscle which will help me burn fat and pretty soon the numbers will start going down. 

I feel good that despite it all I lost those fat pounds, even though my numbers went up.  That's pretty darned awesome.  And Abel couldn't have been any more encouraging, he was really beaming at how well I was doing.

Which made me feel better considering I've really dropped the ball as far as the gym goes.

Good news is, I picked the ball back up.

 

Although, the commenter on the entry below helped convince me I need to see a chiropractor.  When I went into the accordian machine to do my leg exercises, my back really gave me the what for.  I only did one set on that machine and I'm still twinging.  If my spine alignment is behind all this pain I'm in, it's worth the $10 to go see a chiropractor to fix it.

I'm really nervous because I've had a really really REALLY sensitive back for years now.  There's a spot on my lower back that no one can touch and I can't lay flat on.  It's just so sensitive, the thought of anyone touching me there makes it hurt.  So we shall see. 

 

I've busted through the 50,000 word marker on My Immortal.  I'm into the home stretch as I've said and I really think it'll be done by Friday.  I've already pinpointed some publishers to query when that's done.  I'll be documenting this process on the blog on My Space My Immortal.  Mostly because I'm finally getting nibbles over there, mostly because I'm pimping myself out to different writing groups.  I've gotten a couple of readers and a lot of views, and my buddy list is growing.  Hal has not yet accepted my friend invitation (no surprise, I'm sure he gets hundreds) but Steve Perry wrote me to ask me to be his friend after I joined the Steve Perry fan club group. 

Before you get to excited I don't think it's the real Steve Perry.  His profile says he is married, and to my knowledge SP never married.  It also says he drinks and I have it on good authority he doesn't.  And lastly Steve Perry has said repeatedly he doesn't do the internet.  So if it's him then great, we're buds.  If not, I still get to see a photo of Steve in my friends list - which is just pretty darn cool. 

Anyway it's a great place to network with other artists, I belong to a bunch of writer groups and a screenwriter group.  So I figure the best place for a blog regarding the book and selling the book would be over there. 

 

It also frees up this blog to concentrate on everything else.  Namely getting that boost from Abel today shoving me back on the wagon.  Quitting was never an option, but I knew that my wavering was basically a replay of the summer.  And nothing aggrevates me more than looking back at my records and seeing a four month slump that was nothing more than me sticking my head in the sand and sitting on my hands.

The real enemy on this journey is complacency.  The ol "I can do this now, I'll just make up for it later."  Only when later comes it's even harder to find the motivation to do it. 

 

I've also decided to really get back in the groove on my recipe blog.  I cheat a lot of good recipes and with the holidays coming these are some good dishes to take to potlucks and holiday get-togethers.  I got the idea today when my friend Jeff Point.Click.Jeff asked me if I knew any good mexican casserole recipes.  My mom made a killer mexican enchilada casserole which is pretty easy to cheat, and it's those little changes that make it possible to eat well but keep our eyes on moderating fat and calories.  Like my tips, it'll just be one more way to spread the information I've learned to others. 

 

Speaking of tips... TIP OF THE DAYKNOW THAT YOU ARE NOT YOUR BODY!

For too long, we have allowed "FAT" to become a personality trait -- it isn't one! Write down 10 positive adjectives you would use to describe yourself and read them each day! Also, say my affirmation two times a day. (I believe in my ability to improve my health, my attitude and my life. I am worthy of the best that life has to offer and today I have the opportunity to get closer to realizing my dreams and goals!)

Believe in yourself and be your own best friend!

(I need this tip on a daily basis)

 

Stats:

Calories: 1971
Fat: 35%
Sat Fat: 14%
Fiber: 18mg
Calcium: 1175mg
Sodium: 4096mg
Water: 48oz
Exercise:      15 mins stationary bike
                    45 crunches
                    45 mins weight training/ legs

DAILY AFFIRMATION:  Always keep your eye on the bigger picture.  Successes come in so many different ways, even those we aren't necessarily focused on.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the weigh in!!!!  That is so exciting to hear the good news!!  Keep up the good work :)  And thanks for the awesome mexican casserole recipe, I couldn't eat it fast enough!!!  http://pointclickjeff.blogspot.com/  Jeff

Anonymous said...

You hit the nail on the head there--that is why I always talk about my weight in terms of size, rather than pounds--because muscle weighs considerably more than fat--so if you are gaining muscle mass, you have nothing to be upset about!  I am a little over 5 feet tall and weight somewhere in the area of 170-180 pounds.  It stands to reason that I would be a very chubby girl indeed!  In actuality, I wear about a size 14 and if it weren't for this leftover baby-tummy, I probably wouldn't feel too bad about myself--I have always been very muscular--when I wore size 4 jeans, I weighed about 135 pounds, at 5 feet tall--I have a friend who is about 5'7" and weighs 130 pounds and wears an 8.  Go figure!

This is a case where you have to look at the specifics--like you did--and be proud of yourself--your weight may have gone up, but things are looking up for your body and your health.

Congratulations!
Katie

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on losing fat and not freaking out about the perceived gain.  And congratulations on coming so far with *My Immortal*.  You are doing so well!