Sunday, July 17, 2005

Still on track

I haven't checked in but I'm being good - for the most part.  Had an off eating day yesterday.  Lesson learned, I can't do fitday after the fact.  The calories get away from me that way.

It was off by 200 calories, which I guess in the whole scheme of things isn't the end of the world, especially since I was still under what I take in, and still on track to lose weight.

I did have quite the shock yesterday during my "weigh in" process.  I was up a whopping five pounds.  Which, given I've been to the gym all week and been good all week was not a welcome sight.  Especially when I was down three inches.  I figure it was water.

I also figured out that I'm done with the weekly weigh in.  I was going to do it to keep me honest but I felt so unmotivated to go to the gym yesterday after seeing that.

So I'm scrapping that weigh in, and will weigh in again in two weeks instead, when I update the photos.  That way, I'll see a more comprehensive result rather than the fluxuations that occur from week to week.  Instead, my measurements will have to keep me honest.  And that's what matters most anyway, since the numbers on the scale are just that... numbers.

I went back to last year's July photos to this year's July photos, and I can definitely see a marked improvement in body shape.  Yet I was twenty pounds lighter according to the scale. 

So I know that what I'm doing  (eating less, exercising) is what is healthy for my body and will get me into shape.  I don't need to obsess over some numbers most people never see anyway.  I figure it will all come out in the wash anyway.  Eventually my weight will catch up to my measurements.

As of Tuesday my walk requirement bumps up from 1 mile to 1.5 miles.  I'm antsy to get to the next level.  I am really psyched up about the walk in October.  My sister and I even figured out a way we can work out next month when we go see the American Idol tour and are out of town for a week. 

We're motivated. 

So I can honestly say that even if I haven't posted, I'm still doing well - rather than hiding because I'm jumping headlong off the wagon.

It feels good to do what is right and what is healthy again.

Like I'm in control.

I like that feeling.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ginger - keep up the great work!!  Don't forget, when you work out you build muscle--and muscle weighs more than fat.  When I first started working out and dieting, I gained six pounds in one week.  Now I measure by clothing, rather than the scale :)  Take care!! ~nikki

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Ginger. You're doing a lot better than you think and you're right to ditch the scale. Even as young as I am you're inspiring me slowly but surely to do the same. At 18 numbers are still important to me but I'm also going to focus on how I feel, my clothes, and measurements. Keep up the good work and like another reader said-Muscle weighs more than fat! DOn't be discouraged. Hope to check in again soon!

Alyssa

By the way Ginger, if I never said it before. You're pretty I like the new pix you tooK!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ginger,

I just found this journal as I was looking for Hal pics from the San Francisco AIDS Walk and I realized that you were the kind lady that had given Sparks Nation the photos to sign for charity.  So, see?  You *are* a celebrity!  :)

I'm psyched to hear that you're so motivated for the L.A. AIDS Walk.  It's going to be a blast!  It sounds like you're on your way to breezing through those 6.2 miles.  Just keep in mind that there will be *lots* to gawk at as we make our way through West Hollywood, so at the very least it won't be as boring as staring at a treadmill monitor.

And I agree about only weighing yourself every couple weeks.  When I worked with a trainer to lose about 70 lbs, we concentrated on measurements and not numbers on the scale.  Unless I cheated and well...  that meant forward lunges and who likes those?!

If you ever need a little moral support or just want to touch base about the Walk, you can message me on MySpace or get me directly by e-mail.  Anytime, any question, anything. :)

Cheers to you!  You're awesome and I know you're going to make your goal!  See ya in October!

~ Megan (aka Velocity of Sparks Nation)

Anonymous said...

Hey Ginger i think that this is my first time posting in your journal i have been a secret reader for a long time.I just had to post on this entry because it hit the nail on the head with me becuase sometime its so hard to keep motivated especially when you dont see results like you would like too.

You are an insparation to me becuase you use to be a size 34  and now you down  thats great.I'm a size 30/32 and its very hard to go shopping to fine something that you like and they dont have your size.Since i have decided to not go to WW any more i'm doing it from home and i dont have a scale my measurement will be my scale until im ready to get one because having a scale in the house is too much of a mental game that i'm not ready to play right now.

You are doing a great job and you continue to be an insparation to be because you have showed me that it can be done it just takes alot of hard work and determation to get what you want.